Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fresh LaserBoy !!! 05-20-2008

Have you tried any of the effects that LaserBoy can generate?

There isn't anything that makes a scene like your space ship, but there are some neat effects that can be used to create abstract animations and beam show stuff.

If you look at the contents of ez_ilda_frame_effects.cpp ez_ilda_frame_set_effects.cpp you'll see some of the power of LaserBoy that you might not otherwise see.

All of the elemental concepts of laser vector art have been encapsulated into C++ classes. Simple concepts are conglomerated into more complex concepts. Relationships between elements have been defined as functions and overloaded operators. What this all means is that all of the complexities of an idea like a single frame of colored vertices can be summed up in a single object.

The Pythagorean distance between two 3D points can be expressed as the evaluation of

distance = (point1 | point2);

By using the addition operator, a point can be added to the end of the set of vertices in a frame.

new_frame = frame + point;

Similarly frames can be added together to superimpose their images into the same frame

frame3 = frame1 + frame2;

Frames can be added to the end of a frame set with simple addition as well.

new_frame_set = frame_set + frame;

Points, frames, frame sets, colors, etc... all have overloaded operators defined on them making it possible to get to the business of working with laser vector art without having to see or worry about any of the tiny details.

This also makes it possible for me to add to this framework in a hurry. Once I understand the concept, I know exactly where it fits in this code!

James.

I took a look @ SVG and OMG...there soo many different options. I don't think it's worth any effort. DXF is supported by many applications. And it's more standard then SVG. So I don't think there is a need for SVG to ILDA.

SWF would be nice because it very used format and it's well supported. If anyone has any idea about a well used good open cross platform format - post them.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Talking

Something that I have found useful is to know how DXF is written. It's really very simple. If you can read and write the cheesiest HTML and understand what you're doing, you can write DXF. So, all you really need is a set of vertices. If you can't figure out where to put the lines, then don't worry about it. Place only the POINT entities. Once you are in LaserBoy you can open the set of points in space and hop from one to another. You can render a line between the vertex-start-select and the vertex-end-select. This is how I made the 3D dodecahedron. All I had was a set of twenty 3D coordinates (from a VRML file). I didn't know which was what until I saw it in 3D rotation in LaserBoy!

James.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

can you add tetris to laserboy?
    perhaps as non freeware to pick up some $$$
    Make a lot of folks here very happy, even if the display lags play a bit.

sample source from scopetris:

www.coolcircuit.com/gadgets/2008/03/20/scopetris

right now I'm looking at 400 euros to play a video game in laser. NOT fun.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-23-2008 at 10:04.

Talking

Actually, of all of the games I can think of, a Tetris-like game is probably an easier one to do.

It would be new territory for LaserBoy as it would do what it does in (near) real time.

That's a good idea!

Thanks Steve.

I've been looking at libSDL for audio playback and it looks like it is just set up for mono and stereo.

So, I'll have to keep looking to find a platform independant C/C++ audio API.

James.

There are some issue with optimization. It creates a red colored points where blank meets regular line. It makes about 17 points there 13 of which are red.
    Because there are so many points in where blank joins, on vector based systems (LSD/Phoenix/Lasergraph) it looks like one big bright point. Plus it's red.

Here is a video of optimized ilda loaded into Anarchy. When tried to move the blank/line point it separates into around 15+ points and some of them are red.
    I think it's #1 color.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zGQD2VYbMI&fmt=6
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 05-24-2008 at 01:33.

>SWF to ILDA

This convertion is very good idea. A few month ago I also interested programming that. But I forgot C and now use only VB. I hope that you will find useful following link: http://www.swftools.org/download.html
    And one more with full description of the format:
    http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/projects/Las...unk/LaserTools

Dr. Laser.

It appears that the problem of extra red dots comes from the importing process into Anarchy.

If you optimize the whole frame set in LaserBoy and then do a "Z order vertices" you can see every vector in every frame.

u // UI visuals
    1 // show vertices
    u // UI visuals
    2 // show blanking

h // frame transforms
    I // capital i optimize all frames
    h // frame transforms
    @ // (shift 2) Z order vertices all frames (shift 1, flatten Z undoes this)

Now press and hold

4 // orbit view

You can see how the drawing is laid out over time. There are no bogus red dots in there!

BTW If you tap

6 // left side
    7 // top

You can see exactly what the wave for each frame looks like for Y and then X, with color!

Optimizing in LaserBoy is for the purpose of preparing the data for wave export to directly drive the galvos. If you intend to use LaserBoy output for another program, try "minimize" instead.

h // frame transforms
    D // capital d minimize all frames

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 05-24-2008 at 08:08.

I tried about 6 different softwares and they all have red dots. Also they appear after optimization. If I don't do optimization in Laserboy and import ILDA the way it is everything is fine. Can't imaging that LDS, Phoenix, Anarchy, Lasergraph, Monkeys tools and Fiesta being so wrong. Actually I discovered those dots when I tried to project those animations on my projectors. I didn't use Anarchy that time. Actually Anarchy does optimization without making those dots and even with them optimizing there will fix the problem. Those dots piled one one one and are only visible when you try to separate them. When you do a laser projection they visible right away.
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 05-24-2008 at 08:33.

If you see the red dots and then you optimize and they go away, then somehow they are not "real". Why else would they go away while all the other colored dots stay?

Like I said before, the biggest reason I was motivated to write LaserBoy is because I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the software that was lent to me.

If you "minimize" in LaserBoy, then import that into Anarchy there is no problem.

James.