Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazyz Module blanking with the QM-2000

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Because the output of the QM2K is a "balanced out" with some "smarts" it may be possible to reverse the output. Like Ground pin5 and use pin 18. HOWEVER I suggest a quick email to Hayden at Pangolin (before doing this) he will almost certainly have an answer for you direct from the horses mouth.
    Sadly that wont work as the output on the QM2K is not "ILDA" standard. The inverted color pins are internally grounded. Use to be a balanced output, but since no one really uses differential for color and for some other reasons, they just started internally grounding them.

I don't know of a way to invert the signal in the software. There may be a way, I'm just not sure. Really the best bet may be just to build the invert circuit. what type of IC is that in the curcuit you have above? Off the top of my head, I think the 7404 is the number for an inverter. Just attach power and ground, run the signal through it and you should be set.

Okay, good news! I tried my circuit using a 7805 regulator and a 7404 hex inverter and it somewhat works! The driver for the Maxyz module is like quasi analog. The inverted signal voltage is still a little low, around 1.5 volts. The new circuit blanks correctly however it doesn't blank completely. their is still a faint little line between blanking points. I "think" what I have to do now is add a transistor to boost the signal to at least 3V or more. What type of transistor would work for this application? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Okay, good news! I tried my circuit using a 7805 regulator and a 7404 hex inverter and it somewhat works! The driver for the Maxyz module is like quasi analog. The inverted signal voltage is still a little low, around 1.5 volts. The new circuit blanks correctly however it doesn't blank completely. their is still a faint little line between blanking points. I "think" what I have to do now is add a transistor to boost the signal to at least 3V or more. What type of transistor would work for this application? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Hmm, I wonder why its only 1.5V. Perhaps the input to laser diode is drawing more current than the 7404 can supply. A transistor should help then, I'd recommend a 2n2222, which is a very common NPN transistor and would be very easy to add, just connect the base to the output of the 7404, the collector to 5VDC and the emitter to the input of the diode driver.

Y'know Dave, I've been looking at your avitar, and I think it needs some subtle changes to go with the spirit of selem. here is my suggestion.. it's more of a coddling type thing ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails avatar331_5.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Hmm, I wonder why its only 1.5V. Perhaps the input to laser diode is drawing more current than the 7404 can supply. A transistor should help then, I'd recommend a 2n2222, which is a very common NPN transistor and would be very easy to add, just connect the base to the output of the 7404, the collector to 5VDC and the emitter to the input of the diode driver.
    Hey DZ,
    Thanks a lot! That totally worked! I'm so thrilled! I have the circuit on a breadboard right now. I'm going to assemble it now and start tuning my galvo's. I haven't tried any of the shows yet just asteroids and the abstract generator. I'm looking froward to all the great fun!
    Thanks again!
    Adam

Sweet! Glad it worked, Adam! Now you know you also have about 100 of the free shows to enjoy as well! Plus, Buffo, has a couple uploaded to the ftp.photonlexicon.com site! Have fun and don't get frustrated with it, there are so many way to do so many different things.

Steve-o! That's hillarious! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it after this week...

Yeah its been a helluva week hasnt it :\

Okay, still a little problem. The Maxyz module is still not completely blanked. It looks like it still needs a little more voltage. This is the circuit I currently have.

The blanked output is under 1mW however if the laser is left powered for over 30 minuites the output becomes 5mW+ and you can see a faint blanking line. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Adam

The 7404 is a TTL chip, I assume youre not running analog blanking. I would skip using the transistor and run the output of the inverter directly to the blanking input of the Maxy. The transistor is not going to provide a true zero volts for full off condition, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    The 7404 is a TTL chip, I assume youre not running analog blanking. I would skip using the transistor and run the output of the inverter directly to the blanking input of the Maxy. The transistor is not going to provide a true zero volts for full off condition, I believe.
    Hi Steve-o,
    Yeah, I initially tried running without the transistor and was not getting enough blanking. The 2N2222 transistor helped a lot. It's weird because the setup like this is actually offering "some" analog modulation which is kind of cool. I'd be happy with getting rid of the faint blanking in exchange for full TTL though. I'm eventually switching to analog anyway.