Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LaserBoy on Saturday the 14th!

Nope. That's not me. That's dancing Danny Green from UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    ??? I don't know why, but I thought that was a dancing Obama in your avatar...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by drlava
    Probably won't be drawing anything directly with it
    Have you tried the drawing tools? I know, with no instructions at all, it's probably not very intuitive. But once you get started you'll see it's pretty fast and easy. You could probably make that plane DXF into a bitmap (LaserBoy can do that for you!) and trace over the parts you want a lot faster than you could figure out what to remove from that drawing. If you want I can tell you how to get started in just a few minutes on the phone.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    If there were a smart color reduction algorithm I would be more then happy.
    How about if you send me some example images to play with. TraceIT may be able to do what you are talking about, with some coaxing.

TraceIT has a whole suite of bitmap-related pre-processing tools. At this point in time those programs might be a bit non-intuitive, but they are there... These tools may allow you to do everything you are doing now with external programs.

Best regards,

William Benner

I tried to use this latest release of the laser boy software and I ran into a problem. I think I pressed the v key on one of the menus and then some other menu popped up and it was flickering like a strobe light. Then the whole thing locked up until I killed it. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact sequence to reproduce it. I was basically just hitting keys looking through the menus and not really sure what I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Hmmm... the problem is a color shades. Traceit recognizes them as different colors. I wish there was a program that can see different shades of one color and convert it into that 1 color.
    There are lots of programs that can do this! The transformation you want is called "posterize", and it's available in most photo retouching software. Try the Gimp for a free one (though you'll have to either script it or work frame by frame- scripting's not too hard though) or QuickTime Pro for one you have to pay $15 for which works on whole movies.

I tried to use this latest release of the laser boy software and I ran into a problem. I think I pressed the v key on one of the menus and then some other menu popped up and it was flickering like a strobe light. Then the whole thing locked up until I killed it. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact sequence to reproduce it. I was basically just hitting keys looking through the menus and not really sure what I was doing.
    Thanks for pointing that out!

That happened when I was cleaning up the menu system and stripping out the application's response to a window close event. Now the only way to "legally" close LaserBoy is to use the [Esc] key in the main menu.

Here try this one.
    http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserB...14_2008_v3.zip

James.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I thought it was OBama too, was going to say something about keeping politics out of lasers, then bit my tongue, glad I did, maxima mea culpa

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    There are lots of programs that can do this! The transformation you want is called "posterize", and it's available in most photo retouching software. Try the Gimp for a free one (though you'll have to either script it or work frame by frame- scripting's not too hard though) or QuickTime Pro for one you have to pay $15 for which works on whole movies.
    You might want to play with some scientific visualization and image processing freeware that we use at work. comes in two variants

google search for Scion Image, and Image J.

scion's web site sorta makes you feel like you need to buy a frame grabber, but you dont, they have a gov contract or other arrangement to maintain the code. I can highly reccomend the scion grabbers, especially the ones that do real time false color, but save that for another day.

The core code for both of them was paid for by your tax dollars, to aid in image processing in bio research. The scripting fuctions are excellent and it does palette conversions. James might find some new toys in there to add to laserboy. You can probably find a script already out there for the simplification, and laser types should have a good foward and reverse arbitrary size FFT for creating those out there abstract images. Scion/image J does that FFT

Steve