Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest DAC?

The DACs I support in my software don't have any effects built in. All frame processing has to be done before sending them to the devices. The only disadvantage of the soundcard driver that DrLava wrote is a bit of lag due to limitations of the soundcard. But, it's small (100msec or so). This can be completely accounted for in software when playing back shows. Under live control it might be slightly noticeable but 100 msec is a very short time slice.

Some DACs have TTL or DMX output for controlling other devices like fog machines or external beam effects. A sound card doesn't have those but most likely you don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    The DACs I support in my software don't have any effects built in. All frame processing has to be done before sending them to the devices. The only disadvantage of the soundcard driver that DrLava wrote is a bit of lag due to limitations of the soundcard. But, it's small (100msec or so). This can be completely accounted for in software when playing back shows. Under live control it might be slightly noticeable but 100 msec is a very short time slice.

Some DACs have TTL or DMX output for controlling other devices like fog machines or external beam effects. A sound card doesn't have those but most likely you don't need them.
    Ok, so I can modify a sound card and use some software written by DrLava with the card? The main things I need to know is if I can use software and a DAC the same was as the more expensive ones, it doesn't mater if it is something modified or has lag for now.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

Yes. DrLava has written a driver that makes the sound card appear to be an EasyLase DAC. You can just copy his "fake" easylase.dll file over the real one and you can use Mamba, HE Laserscan, Spaghetti, Laseroids, and other programs and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Yes. DrLava has written a driver that makes the sound card appear to be an EasyLase DAC. You can just copy his "fake" easylase.dll file over the real one and you can use Mamba, HE Laserscan, Spaghetti, Laseroids, and other programs and it works.
    Awesome!

Whats Laseroids like by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    Hmm and this gives the same effects as a more expensive one?
    One of the main reasons I wrote LaserBoy, starting back in 2003 was to be able to create and apply all sorts of effects to make or enhance animations. If it doesn't do what you want, it is very easy to write a new effect and add it to the working system.

James.

IShow/iTop is quite nasty. Has no centre options or other align functions.
    The "resize" function is dreadful.
    Not any sort of morphing or transitions between frames or even the same from.
    Many other problems, it's almost like a first generation of laser software.

But if your budget is tight then yes if you play around for a long time you can get something out of it, but it is hard work and frustrating.

André

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    Awesome!

Whats Laseroids like by the way?
    You can see some vids on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IhZsnQ3zYA

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    IShow/iTop is quite nasty. Has no centre options or other align functions.
    The "resize" function is dreadful.
    Not any sort of morphing or transitions between frames or even the same from.
    Many other problems, it's almost like a first generation of laser software.

But if your budget is tight then yes if you play around for a long time you can get something out of it, but it is hard work and frustrating.

André

How bout the Alphalitexc I have been looking at that as well any thoughts on it ?

I found Norms DAC up for sale on ebay for £75. All completed, just needed to be mounted in its box.

Thats quite tempting assuming I can find some decent software thats compatible with it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by coil1002 View Post
    How bout the Alphalitexc I have been looking at that as well any thoughts on it ?
    I've owned an Alphalite XC Pro for several years, though I never use it anymore. It's got a few interesting features (sines are cool, and so is the abstract generator), but it's *not* well suited for playing full shows. Furthermore, it does not support music syncronization at all. It's got some pretty severe timing issues. And it crashes - frequently. I can't really recommend it, even at the current low price of $300. (Note: I paid $750 for mine.)

What, exactly, are you trying to do with your laser projector? Are you interested in creating your own shows that are syncronized to music? Or are you planning to play along "live" to an external music source? Is it important for you to have lots of pre-made shows to watch? Do you have a use for DMX control? Do you need a library of ILDA frames? How important is image quality to you? Does your projector support analog color modulation?

The answers to these questions will help you decide which software package and hardware controller is best for you. Sound cards can indeed be used as controllers, both with a few of the free software packages out there (LaserBoy, Spaghetti, etc) as well as with some commercial software packages (Mamba Black, for example) that offer more advanced features. There are some drawbacks to using a sound card, but if money is very tight, it's a way to get started.

Don't forget the Pangolin "LA Freak" package though. For $500 you get the Flashback 3 controller *and* the LA Studio laser show software suite. It's a very good deal on a professional controller and software package.

Still, it *is* $500, and if that's a deal breaker, then LaserBoy or Spaghetti might be what you're looking for.

Adam