Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware list for SELEM 2008

I'm looking right now to find the ideal PCI and USB 5.1 or 7.1 sound device for the task. I haven't run into one yet that could not be used. I'll try to have a couple made and a couple ready to make at SELEM.

The outboard amp design is pretty solid. There might be a simpler way to do it, but this is very versatile.

http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/graphics/huge/laser_h_95.jpg

More details off this thread, if you like.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    I'm looking right now to find the ideal PCI and USB 5.1 or 7.1 sound device for the task. I haven't run into one yet that could not be used. I'll try to have a couple made and a couple ready to make at SELEM.

The outboard amp design is pretty solid. There might be a simpler way to do it, but this is very versatile.

http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/graphics/huge/laser_h_95.jpg

More details off this thread, if you like.

James.
    Can do, I'll build one. PM sent!
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 06-24-2008 at 21:39.

I don't know if anyone has one but, a beam profile analyzer would be cool. That way we could see how F'ed up our cheap red's and Chinese green's are. Power meters are a must! We can have a calibration session.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I don't know if anyone has one but, a beam profile analyzer would be cool. That way we could see how F'ed up our cheap red's and Chinese green's are. Power meters are a must! We can have a calibration session.
    We have a beam profiler, but I am not sure that something this complicated would be necessary. If you just use a strong negative lens, you can see the profile with your eye... A single negative lens is a lot easier to carry on the plane than a beam profiler .

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Yes, I have a strong resemblance to the 1985 Val Kilmar,,,, No, not really.
    Actually, Dave Oxenreider looks EXACTLY like Val Kilmar...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    We have a beam profiler, but I am not sure that something this complicated would be necessary. If you just use a strong negative lens, you can see the profile with your eye... A single negative lens is a lot easier to carry on the plane than a beam profiler .

Actually, Dave Oxenreider looks EXACTLY like Val Kilmar...

Bill
    Well, I guess that makes sense! I always come up with complicated and expensive ways to solve issues.
    Thanks!
    Adam

I am planning to bring all 3 projectors{RGB} and may have enough time to finish the 300mw lumia in green only. 2 p/c's ......QM2K and FB3. I will have a couple of ILDA cables extra and the offcial Pink Floyd prism, Lasercheck,Home-made Coherent power meter and a few other trinkets to possibly swap or sell.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

I'm bringing my RGB projector, QM2K, various tools. Not sure yet if I'm going to have the beam table finished to bring since I just got the bill for my recent ER visit. Which will set me back about the cost of a QM2K.... I don't think I'll need to bring anything sound related since the theater is suppose to have the sound system upgraded by the time we get there.

What do we have in the way of a sound system? Are we going to have a headset mic and a wireless for the presentations? How loud and crazy can we get?

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 06-26-2008 at 18:47.

Smile

James;

I don't have a headset or a wireless mic. I do have a wired microphone, however. Do you have a wireless mic? I could plug that into the mixer...

As for how loud and crazy we can get - well, pretty much the sky's the limit here. We have the *entire* facility to ourselves, so we can crank it up as loud as we can stand it without worrying about the neighboring school building. (Don't forget that some of us are older though... Not sure that all of us old farts will be able to handle 2 solid days of non-stop concert-hall-pitch music. Still, I'm sure we'll blast it at least a couple times.)

The auditorium is spending $7500 on an upgraded sound system. Should be installed by the end of July. Worst case, DZ could bring his amps and speakers if we needed it, but the new sound system should be more than enough. So yeah, we'll have *plenty* of volume.

DZ: Maybe we can put my HGM5 to use feeding your beam table? (Need to get the PSU work finished, but otherwise it should work OK...)

Mike:

Cool! Glad to hear you're bringing all 3 rigs! Should be epic...

Adam

Well... the reason I asked about speakers is because, even though they are not the most portable things in the world, I have a home made system that is pretty impressive.

It's got 88 speakers in the stereo pair. It is a bi-amped line source array with 36 full range drivers in each line and (8) 8 inch woofers in two separate boxes behind each line. It's -3dB at 18Hz. The only crossover is an active 24dB/oct. at about 125Hz. Clean! Loud! No feedback! But HEAVY!

http://www.akrobiz.com/speakers/new/

James.