Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why USB?

Gary,

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    My new RIYA DAC supports ethernet. I haven't tried it out, yet, though. I need to do that and add support for it in Spaghetti.
    For Ethernet support for our controllers you should not make any additional options in Spaghetti:
    - in directory where is Spaghetti make please network.ini file with IP address of controller.

IT IS ALL!!!

Connect controller by Ethernet, run Spaghetti, and it will work!

All the best
    Ihor

Quote Originally Posted by riyalasers View Post
    Gary,

For Ethernet support for our controllers you should not make any additional options in Spaghetti:
    - in directory where is Spaghetti make please network.ini file with IP address of controller.

IT IS ALL!!!

Connect controller by Ethernet, run Spaghetti, and it will work!

All the best
    Ihor
    you cant beat simplicity

Thanks! You all presented good reasons for not using a printer port based DAC. I'm actually not using DAC0832 but rather a DAC0832 compatible circuit with two 10-bit serial DAC's and a microcontroller. I was planning to add SD memory support in the near future to make my homemade projector fully portable (runs of built-in 12VDC lead acid battery). I have had problems reading the printer port data as it is full of noise. The timing is also a big problem. The points are not evenly spaced in time wich makes some points brighter than others (actually looks kinda cool... =) ) If I move my mouse around a bit it shows on the projected image... Haven't tried opening any files while projecting as it would just cause chaos

I think I will leave my printer port interface and just add SD memory capability. That would solve timing and jitter issues and also let me use 10bits resolution. I know abut the bILDA project but I need windows software as I don't have any Linux knowledge at all. I guess I could learn but I don't have the energy to spend a lot of time just getting the PC booting the operativ system...

Quote Originally Posted by barold View Post
    i dont have a printer port
    BINGO!

New laptops dont have prionter ports and new desktops are starting tleave them out.

Mac does not use parallel but windows, linux, and mac all use USB.

its UNIVERSAL serial bus.

i agree with the ethernet thing, and even more so with an 802.11x dac..

For work via Wi-Fi is nesessary only Wi-Fi access point (~$40), and controller with Ethernet interface...

Ihor

yeah i know that, but a dac that was wireless by design would be nice

Wi-Fi acces point (usualy) cost about $40
    Wi-Fi access point (oem version) - 2-3 times expensive.
    Will you pay more?

i dont.. i built my dac.. but it would be a great commercial product.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    (Linux) I guess I could learn but I don't have the energy to spend a lot of time just getting the PC booting the operativ system...
    It takes about twenty minutes to install Linux these days... Ubuntu et al have made huge steps towards making Linux ready for the nontechnical user. You should check it out!