Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Analog scan rotator

Hi imobscure, thanks for the info, this makes sense now. I will obtain the sin/cos signals from the crossed polarisers, then use the analog multipliers.

Hi mixedgas, thanks for your kind offer. I am planning to use the analog calculation, because i think even 100us ADC-LUT-DAC delay would cause 3.6 degrees error at my target 6000 rpm, which is not acceptable.

I will let you know if it works!

weartronics

You could use an angle encoder to clock a look up table to feed the sin/cos signals to your image rotator circuit. The home brew might work, but it I doubt it would work all that well at first, and the time to get it smooth would be daunting...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

see attached zip

there is NO delay, as these are MULTIPLYING DACS, they have the equavalent of a analog multiplier built in!

will have to repost as I get:

rotator.zip:
    Your file of 4.95 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 4.00 MB for this filetype.

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

resized file:

ditch the cmos 4052 switch, they tend to fail with latchup problems, all it does is provide a inverted or non inverted x or y signal depending on the upper two bits.

switching time is less then 1 microsecond on the dacs, but the signal path is true analog, so no delays

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by imobscure View Post
    You use the 4 quadrant analog multipliers to do the multiplication in the rotation formula. The sin/cos signale are classically (i.e. in my laserium days) provided to the circuit from a joystick moving in a circle. It could also be generated by a quadrature osc. or a look up table - I used to use a military surplus sin/cos potentiometer at one point - of course I haven't seen any of those for 25 years...
    I have a handful of NOS Bourns 50K sin/cos potentiometers - continuous rotation, no stops. PM me if you're interested. I'll see if I can find them - we can work something out.

Thanks, that was a good and simple design!

/d

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    resized file:

ditch the cmos 4052 switch, they tend to fail with latchup problems, all it does is provide a inverted or non inverted x or y signal depending on the upper two bits.

switching time is less then 1 microsecond on the dacs, but the signal path is true analog, so no delays

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the design, that is interesting! Kind regards, weartronics