Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom dichro for mixing 635 nm with 660 nm

I think "pretty optimistic" is quite the understatement!!

ill take one depending on price

ignore that i just read it again, expensive for me

sorry
    Last edited by andy_con; 08-25-2008 at 12:24.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

What about 650nm? If so I would like to grab a couple as well.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Cool

Sorry Doc, 650 nm is going to be too close to the cutoff for this dichro. You'd end up loosing a lot of power (like 40% or more).

Update on the dichro... It seems that Colleen doesn't work for Semrock anymore. However, I got in touch with her replacement, and the new guy sent me this response curve for the dichro we're looking at:

As you can see, the reflectance at 635 is really good - around 98% is reflected and only 1-2 % gets transmitted through. However, when you get to the 660 nm end, the efficiency isn't quite as good. Looks like around 93-94 % makes it through.

Still not to bad though. I asked him to give me a quote for a minimum order of 10 pieces that are 1 inch in diameter. I also had him quote me the standard size, which is a rectangular shape. We'll see what the price difference is. I should have an answer in a day or two.

Adam

Arrow

shaking with an arsenal of 600mw of 660nm and 250mw of 635nm at the ready...........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Sorry Doc, 650 nm is going to be too close to the cutoff for this dichro
    Adam, did the guy at Semrock mention if these filters can be "angle tuned" to shift those specs, as with more broadband dichro filters?

Default You guys are killen me !!

With my RGB getting ready to fire up and FINALLY pull out of the garage....NOW.....even B4 this happens.....a possibillity to add 635 !!!!! to my current Maxyz Duals......mmmmm???? But....no more room....unless....
    I add the 635,,,,,ATOP the Maxyz...do a 90 reflect ...down....and put the Dichro/Holder on its side in the beam path.....only down side is the 1% loss associated with the bounce mirror !!! This layout would give Salvodor
    Dali a nightmare !!
    Next question......What is the MAX mw....with decent beam specs....and a reasonable price ( < 1k ) can one get in a 635 ??? and where??? and how do you modulate the beam power......just put it on another ILDA color channel I assume ???
    OK...I MIGHT be interested...especially considering the eye responsivity to 635 !!!.....and it IS a great colour !!
    In closing....I have another dream ( nightmare ? ).....do this same stack concept with the new 443 DI ( When and IF they get real on the price !! )...to give the blue area ahelva kick in da pants ????

PS....So VERY sorry I had last minute family commitments....and could not be at SELEM 08.....that truly sucked !!!

CDBEAM/Bob...and Terrawatt too !!
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 08-27-2008 at 06:10. Reason: Typo
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Smile

No problem Bob - family comes first! You were missed at SELEM, however.

Sorry to increase your choices for your projector like that... Especially since you're so close to being done! I was planning on adding around 150 mw of 635 to my projector (I've got the dual Maxyz setup too). Don't know how bad the beam specs are for the lower power 635 reds, but I'm hoping they'll be reasonable.

Modulation: Two choices... Use another color channel (if you have Pangolin LD-2000), or wire all your reds together on the same channel and live with whatever balance you get with it. (Might see some shift from red to orange if you do this, but the effect should be very subtle.)

P1t8ul;

I didn't ask him about angle tuning. I did tell him that we would be working with a nominal angle of incidence of 45 degrees though. I'll check on the angle tuning. (My guess is that it won't make much difference because the cut off band is so narrow to start with, but I'll ask.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I'll ask
    Cool, thanks

Cool Group buy from Semrock - pricing details

Ok people, more info on the dichro order. The standard rectangular shape that they normally sell the dichro in is 25mm by 36 mm. Those are more expensive, however, because they are larger. (They go for $195 + shipping.)

The 1 inch diameter round dichros are smaller, so they cost less. However, there is a "sizing fee" applied to each order. This sizing fee is the same whether you order 2 dichros or 20 dichros. It's a flat fee of $100 that gets tacked on to the order. Still, I think this is the way to go, since it's still cheaper this way, and the 1 inch round dichros will fit the vast majority of the mounts out there.

Now for the pricing: If we order 10 or more units, we can get them for $145 each. If we can get up to a minimum order of 20 units, we get a $10 discount on each piece. Note that shipping from Semrock will still apply in either case.

So here's how it breaks down: $1450 for a lot of 10 dichros, + $100 for the sizing fee, + $23.50 for shipping to me (ground), gives a total of $1573.50. Divide that back by 10, and you get a total cost per dichro of $157.35

Now add in USPS priority mail shipping to you (with delivery confirmation) for $5.50 and paypal fees ($5.02 per dichro) and you get $167.87 each. Note - if you want insurance on the package, that will add another $2.60 to the cost.

International deliveries will of course be more expensive. A good guess for international shipping will be between $15 and $25. PM me with your details and I'll get an exact quote to you. I think insurance should be mandatory for international shipments, because delivery confirmation isn't always available. EDIT: Just found out that international shipping is going to run around $30 to most destinations. You have to upgrade to either Priority or Express shipping in order to get insurance on an international shipment, and that increases the cost. Thus it will cost $193 to ship one dichro internationally, or $355 to ship two of them internationally.

So, our price ended up right about where we figured it would be. $167.87 for 1 dichro delivered domestically. $170.47 if you want it insured. (Note: If you want two dichros, the shipping amount will be the same, so double the price and then subtract out the extra $5.50 for shipping on the second one. Insurance rates will still apply though.)

If you guys want to do this, they (Semrock) need a 1 week lead time to get the dichros sized for us. After that, they'll be sent to me, and I'll have to re-package them and ship them back out to you. Also, I should point out that I'll be on vacation (and out of Internet range) starting on September 6th, and lasting until September 14th.

It would be great to get this wrapped up before I leave for vacation, but maybe it would be better to wait until I'm back.?. You guys think it over and let me know. But I'm ready to pull the trigger on this group buy if you are.

If we want to do this before I leave, I would need to close the group buy on Friday, September 5th, so I could get the payment sent to Semrock before I left. Otherwise, I'd need to leave it open until at least the 16th or so. You guys decide what you want to do.

If everyone is ready to do this, then send your paypal payment to adburns@sc.rr.com. I'm a verified business member, so you can use your credit card if you want. (I get hit with paypal fees no matter how you pay.)

And again, if you need international shipping, send me a PM with your delivery info and I'll get an exact shipping quote for you before you submit your paypal payment.

Adam

PS: I'm still waiting for an answer about angle-tuning with regard to this specific dichro. I *believe* they will be tunable, but I don't know for sure yet.
    Last edited by buffo; 08-30-2008 at 08:53.