Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom dichro for mixing 635 nm with 660 nm

Lightbulb

I have a credit card at the ready...

Whatever works for the group works for me - probably won't really put it to use until early '09 (but then, I also wasn't planning on "Getting Pango'd" so early either!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Ready here....one unit confirmed for me please. Maybe set up a page for confirmation or just a talley of those who are getting one or more of these. Just a thought......
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Cool

Ok - the majority wins! (Thanks for all the PM's guys!)

Go ahead and send your paypal payments now. I'll keep tally of who has sent payment and will update the total here in this thread. If everyone gets their payments in by next week Friday, I'll fire the order off to Semrock before I leave for my vacation.

BTW, it turns out that international shipping is pretty much the same no matter where you send it. The UK, Sweden, Australia, they all end up costing about ~ $30 when you include insurance for Priority International service. (And, of course, you can't get insurance unless you go Priority or Express.) So figure an extra $30 to ship them internationally. (Weight isn't a factor, so the shipping cost is basically the same for 1 or 2 dichros. The only difference is insurance, and it's trivial.)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-28-2008 at 13:47.

PayPal headed your way -

Thanks for taking the lead on this!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Which way round do the reds have to go?

Pass 660 and reflect 635 or visa versa?

When will these things come down in price?

Smile

Update on group buy status:

P1t8ull was first out of the gate with a confirmed payment for 2 dichros
    Stuka is second with a confirmed payment for 1 dichro
    Buffo is confirmed for 1 dichro

6 more slots to fill...
    Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    Which way round do the reds have to go?
    Pass 660 and reflect 635 or visa versa?
    Hi Graham! Been a while...

You had it correct the first time. These dichros will pass 660 nm red and reflect 635 nm red.
    When will these things come down in price?
    Not anytime soon, I'm afraid. There isn't much demand for these dichros. I had to contact nearly a dozen manufacturers before I found Semrock. Most companies were unwilling to even discuss a custom dichro run, and none of them had anything that was even close to what we needed. Fortunately for us, Semrock had already developed a coating with these properties for another client. But they're still rather expensive. (Semrock in general is known for high quality optics, but they come with a high price tag too!)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-29-2008 at 03:12.

Ok Adam thanks.

Yeah, long time no lase.

It's a shame they are so pricey, I have my maxyz's which I dont really want to part with and I'd like to see what wonderfull reds/oranges/yellows could be accomplished using 660 and 635.

this would of course demand that I upgrade my green from 100mw which in turn means more money, so it's probably a good idea that I can't get one of these.

Look forward to seeing some pics from you guys.

Graham

Cool

Understand your situation, Graham. We'll keep you posted of our progress.

Update: Just got the information from Semrock concerning the angle tuning ability for these dichros.. Straight from the horses mouth:
    The specifications for these dichroics are for 45 degrees of angle of incidence. However, when the angle of incidence changes, then the spectra of the dichroic also shift and this can be used to adjust the cut off frequency.

The 50% transmission point of this dichroic can shift by about 55 nm (from 650 nm to about 705 nm) when the angle of incidence is changed from 45 degrees to zero. Similarly, when the angle of incidence is changed to 60 degrees (from 45 degrees) the 50% transmission point can shift to about 617 nm (from the 650nm, design specification). It should be noted that beyond the design specification (45 +/- 1.5 degrees) the reflection and transmission can be compromised.
    So, Dr. Laser, if you're still interested in working with 650 nm red, this might be an option for you. However, you'll probably loose some efficiency on the 635 nm end. Your call as to whether it's worth it to buy one to experiment with or not...

Adam

Lightbulb