Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom dichro for mixing 635 nm with 660 nm

This is a long ago done deal, correct? Adam

Quote Originally Posted by frank_1257 View Post
    how are you folks getting 660nm I am looking at side pumped brewsters yag into 1319nm resonator to pump some red coated ktp for 659nm is 660nm a argon line?
    Maxyz 660nm modules for many of us...

You've got some pretty deep technical questions - you might want to post in the "Advanced Technical Discussion" section so your questions will get the attention and answers they deserve.
    NOt thet there aren't some REALLY knowledgeable folks posting here, but your questions might get "lost in the shuffle" in a thread concerning the dichros!
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-22-2008 at 04:37.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

how are you folks getting 660nm?
    We use direct injection diodes (Maxyz modules) making roughly 200 mw each. We combine two of them using a PBS cube and get around 400 mw of red at 660 nm.

The problem is that 660 nm red is hard for the eye to see, so it doesn't appear all that bright even though you've got nearly 400 mw of it. So to "brighten up" the red, we thought it would be cool to add ~ 100 mw or so of 635 nm red. (This would more than double the apparent brightness of the red, because the human eye is 5 times more sensitive to 635 nm red as it is to 660 nm red.)

There are several direct injection diodes available that lase at 635 nm. And so long as you stay at lower powers (100-200 mw), the beam specs aren't all that bad. (Well, there *are* some solutions for good beam specs even at higher powers, but they involved advanced and expensive optics that none of us wanted to deal with.)

Then we realized that in order to mix 660 nm red and 635 nm red you would need a dichro with a *very* narrow cut-off band. Thus the search for a company that could produce such a dichro. I found one about a year ago and we started talking about a group buy. It took a year for us to get enough interest to fill an order for 10 pieces, which is the minimum they will do for a custom run like this.
    This is a long ago done deal, correct? Adam
    No. The group buy is still open if you want to get in on it. I haven't placed the order just yet. (I'll be placing it later this week though, so you'd need to hurry.)

If you think you'll have a need to combine 635 nm red with 650 or 660 nm red, then this dichro is what you need.

On the other hand, if you only need to mix 660 nm red with your green and blue, then this dicrho is *way* more expensive than you need. A standard dichro (with a wider cut-off band) will still work just fine, and will save you over $100! (These custom dichros are expensive!)

Adam

Cool

Hey folks! Just an update...

I received confirmation of the order from Semrock yesterday. They are anticipating that the order will be complete and ready to ship to me on the 3rd of October, which should put the dichros in my hand by the 8th of October.

Assuming that this timetable holds, I should be able to get them re-packaged and shipped back out by the next day or so. Thus, we're probably looking at the middle of October for a delivery date to the buyers for the dichros.

I'll post more updates as things progress. Meanwhile, get your 635 nm lasers ready!

Adam

PS: And for anyone that is just now discovering this thread, this group buy was officially closed on the 24th of September, 2008. In principle, I'd be willing to do a second group buy if there was enough interest, but right now I'm going to concentrate my efforts on completing this one first.
    Last edited by buffo; 09-26-2008 at 03:30.

Great news, thanks Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Hey Buffo, do these have the sealed edges so they dont degrade over time? Or are they a harder then hard coat?

Steve

Smile

Hi Steve;

Honestly I don't know. I didn't even ask them. Thinking about it though, they've got to cut the dichros down to the 1 inch diameter size, so even if they did seal the edges during the vacuum deposition process, that seal would be broken when they cut them... So my guess is that they simply use a really hard coating (like Edmund's does) and leave it at that.

Guess I'll know for sure in a little over a week though!

Adam

Damn - This is a really good motivation to need to frequent the forums a lot more... I really wanted one of these

Cool

Sorry about that, Max...

I can give you all the contact info for the people I've been dealing with at SEMROCK if you want to look into a single buy just for you. (Gonna be a lot more expensive though! I think the single unit cost is around $200 + shipping.)

There may be another group buy later, if there's enough interest. I figured it would be best to get some feedback first though.

Stay tuned here and see what happens. By the middle of October I should have all the dichros sent out, so shortly after that we should start getting some feedback...

Adam

No worries Adam, it was only my leave of absence that got me.... oh well I sold off both the reds I had in my projector anyway. (I'll be buying new ones again soon).