Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steampunk "Laser"

Post Steampunk "Laser"

I'm obsessed with lasers (obviously) but I also like steampunk (for those who don't know what that is visit wikipedia and steampunklab.com) so I thought that I'd combine the two and make a device that's definitely steampunk and a sort of primitive laser, its more of an ornament than a laser but its still quite nice. It looks a little like a microscope and a little like a telescope but is neither. If anyone wants to know more ask and I'll post some photos and even instructions. It cost less than £5 and looks great when smoke or steam blows across the beam.
    My friends say I'm mad , I suppose they're not wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
    If anyone wants to know more ask and I'll post some photos and even instructions.
    Will it give me as good a laugh as the last thread though ?

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hiya
    Never heard of Steampunk before , a quick read over at wiki and it has caught my interest ..particularly like th idea of Alterntive Path Scenarious ....one has been raised here in the past .... what if Bill Benner had liked Girls instead of lasers ...where would be now ..in mambaland no doubt.

Ye ha .. yip i would love to see images of what you hve con jured up laser wise

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Smile So shall I upload the photos ?

In case I failed to mention before this is not a "Proper" laser but an ornament that focuses light . For genuine steampunk effect I often use a candle.
    In a while I'll take a few photos, label them and up load them.

Cool Here are the photos

Here are a series of photos of the Steampunk laser. One is labelled with a list of parts each part cost £1 or less. Another image shows a touch before and after it was focused by the "Laser".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Labled laser SP.jpg  

Focused SP laser.jpg  

DSCI0077.JPG  

DSCI0075.JPG  

I bet you LOVE the movie "Brazil". There is nothing else like it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_(movie)

James.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Which bit is the laser?

This is a laser forum after all ...............

Talking Answers to your questions

The half of a pair of binoculars and the end lens of the other half focuses light, any light that passes through it. The candle is the light source that is focused believe it or not it has a damned good out put once you get the angle of the main body right. so really the whole thing is the laser.

By the way what has the film Brazil got to do with this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
    The half of a pair of binoculars and the end lens of the other half focuses light, any light that passes through it. The candle is the light source that is focused believe it or not it has a damned good out put once you get the angle of the main body right. so really the whole thing is the laser.

By the way what has the film Brazil got to do with this ?
    You're not even close to a laser. A laser is a much more complex and fantastic thing than just focused light. It's a quantum particle phenomena that Einstein predicted about 30 years before it was actually found.

The movie "Brazil" has some of the most incredible visual weirdness I've ever seen. It has TONS of "Steampunk" imagery.

James.

I think a reall killer steampunk laser would have a wood powered boiler and a steam powered generator powering a glass/gas type laser.