Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gobo flex

Default gobo flex

hey everybody i just got a American
    DJ Gobo Flex light FX for 8 bucs at GC

and..... lol it doesnt work.. no surprise. I took it apart and replaced the projector bulb and I did a little investigative work.

the bulb wires run back to a board that as far as i can tell does nothing but reduce the voltage from 120 to 24V for the bulb. It obviously does something else i just cant figure out what. I get power going into the board but none coming out. When i disconnect the board and turn the light on all the wheels and mirrors do their thing to the music so i know the board only does stuff on the bulb.

sooooo???? what does it do? ive looked at videos and the bulb doesnt stobe or anything so i have no idea what it does?

Quote Originally Posted by joebone View Post
    hey everybody i just got a American
    DJ Gobo Flex light FX for 8 bucs at GC

and..... lol it doesnt work.. no surprise. I took it apart and replaced the projector bulb and I did a little investigative work.

the bulb wires run back to a board that as far as i can tell does nothing but reduce the voltage from 120 to 24V for the bulb. It obviously does something else i just cant figure out what. I get power going into the board but none coming out. When i disconnect the board and turn the light on all the wheels and mirrors do their thing to the music so i know the board only does stuff on the bulb.

sooooo???? what does it do? ive looked at videos and the bulb doesnt stobe or anything so i have no idea what it does?
    Going from 120VAC to 24VAC is the work of a simple 5 to 1 step down transformer. Can you see a transformer? Can you measure continuity across both the primary and the secondary windings?

If it's a DC light (I doubt it) there will also be a bridge rectifier. That's nothing more than 4 power diodes.

How about a picture or two?

James.

on the board it has a number of things. One of the most noticable things is a giant donute type thing with a coil around it.... i guess. lol

looks like a number of resistors...

i also found a bulb on the internet that runs with 120V could i just bypass the board and hook the bulb up.

ill work on a pic

BOO YAA LOL
    been looking for this peice for about 6 hours now

http://parts.americandj.com/Products...ne=GOBO%20FLEX

12th piece down... 250watt transformer

nice! so now ... do i replace it or bypass it with a 120V bulb??

Are you talking about this?

That looks like a toroidal core transformer; the donut.

I'm not sure if this is a simple linear power supply. It looks like it might be a switcher. Bummer. They are way more complicated. You probably have a blown up power diode or FET transister.

My Intimidator 1.0 has a transformer for the bulb almost exactly like that pic above. I accidently plugged mine into 240V instead of 120V, so I had to go in and repair some stuff, but it works (Need to carry around a big heavy stepdown transformer though )

Some pics would help alot!

BTW that is a switchmode PSU, well mine is atleast.

ya that pic is it exactly for sure. Same light same board exactly.

so its more than a transformer. the site labeled it 250 WATT SOLID STATE TRANSFORM

Technically speaking, the transformer is just that donut bit. The rest of the board is probably a current regulated switching power supply.

James.

True, though its just easier to call the whole thing a transformer, than a switchmode power supply

My intimidator uses a 24V 250W halogen bulb too, chances are the driver is almost identical, mine just doesnt have the little connector.

What did you need help with?

Usually with these kind of lights its more likely to be physical thing then an electronic thing. Ive seen very flew blown chips or burnt out circuitry but replaced more then a handful of steppers and lamp holders.

Just a heads up but check those kind of things first, you dont want to start spending loads on replacement boards to find out one of the connections in the lamp holder is lose.