Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin User Meeting Results (and more Free Laser Shows)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I sprang 1700$ on a QM32 six years ago. Arguably one of the best investments I've made in making people happy, have used it for eveything from public shows for 20,000 people to lab research (non lethal weapons research, dont ask...) to just letting kids at the local science fair play. I've used x-29 , mamba, ZAP!, Lasermedia's mac product , and Rick Gephardt's stuff that was before Alpha. I also had LD500, and seen a bunch of other stuff including appledacs and lasergraph DSP. All of them could produce laser output, but only Pango comes with the wonderful content. 1 frame of laser takes on the average of 15 to 30 minutes for really high quailty artwork either rotoscoping or drawing (and I cant draw ;-(
    So the real thing where pango shines is the included show content and artwork. Its worth the bucks!

Steve Roberts

I am interested to see a video of Rhythm is a Dancer, is this done to the track made by snap, was it one of the new hot remixes that have recently come out.

Thanks for the info.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    I am interested to see a video of Rhythm is a Dancer, is this done to the track made by snap, was it one of the new hot remixes that have recently come out.
    As far as I could tell, it was the original song by Snap! that came out back in the early 90's. It's the way I remembered it from my clubbing days anyway.

Didn't know there were a bunch of new remixes out there...

Adam

is there any video of this event?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Cool

Andy;

Saddly, no. It was held aboard a cruise ship, and I don't remember anyone having a video camera with them. There weren't many pictures taken either. (I only took one myself, and it didn't come out all that well.)

There were some amazing people in attendance though! I have never felt so small...

Adam

Is the FB3 package any good for creating then?

My interest if going down the ILDA route is in creating my owns shows to fit my own music and that requires both the ability to do that plus a comprehensive library of effects.

Its no good having a program that will do it but having no animations or beam effects pre-created to use. Such a handicap would turn the program into a nightmare if everything had to be created from scratch. As a hobbyist, I'm really looking for something that has thousands and thousands of effects but no shows, so you just drag and adjust pre-made effects into the timeline to make your own shows.

Cool

The FB3 package comes with some material which you can use to create your own shows, and it also comes with a few shows.

The LD-2000 package comes with 3 discs full of material you can use to create your own shows, along with 100 + shows.

I don't know of any solution that comes with zero shows but also includes lots of content to make shows...

Adam

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Is the FB3 package any good for creating then?

My interest if going down the ILDA route is in creating my owns shows to fit my own music and that requires both the ability to do that plus a comprehensive library of effects.

Its no good having a program that will do it but having no animations or beam effects pre-created to use. Such a handicap would turn the program into a nightmare if everything had to be created from scratch. As a hobbyist, I'm really looking for something that has thousands and thousands of effects but no shows, so you just drag and adjust pre-made effects into the timeline to make your own shows.
    Definitely!!

You won't be able to use shows designed for the LD2000/QM2000 suite, but you still have GREAT options!

Here's the FREE software suite available for the FB3:
    http://www.pangolin.com/LA_Studio/Showrider.htm

VERY capable, and can save shows and graphics in the universal ILD format, or the LAStudio Showrider format. And, as mentioned previously, it can open ILD files from other sources, so there will be TONS of freely available clips you can use! Like any package, there's a bit of a learning curve, and the user base doesn't have quite as many people available to pass ideas around - but, for the price, you can't beat it!

There is also a USB version of the Pangolin LivePRO software available specifically for the FB3. Here's a link to the "standard" version:
    http://www.pangolin.com/LivePRO.htm

Note that LivePRO is not free, but I believe the USB/FB3 version does cost considerably less now than the "standard" version for the QM2000 boards. I have both, and unless there's been a recent change, the only real difference is the USB/FB3 version does NOT support DMX OUT, since the FB3 does not have DMX out (it DOES have DMX in if you get the "evaluation kit" version with the DMX board attached).

Cut and dry - nothing out there that I've seen is going to come close to all the capabilities of the LD2000/QM2000 suite except another LD2000/QM2000 suite! However, if you can't afford the expense of that system but still want a lot of capabilities with and the ability to use industry-standard graphics, you can't go wrong with the FB3!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-20-2008 at 12:25.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

if you get the top fb3 you can make pretty much any show you like.

it comes with show rider etc
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat