Thread: Red with better specs

Default Red with better specs

This is something I thought up when I was still planning to use a premade red in my projector. It's to halve the beam with of a red diode laser.

I don't have my regular drawing tools with me but I managed to whip up a quick image of what I mean.

If you have a red with a 8x5 beam, you can make it a 4x5 beam

Edit : you could even use this to decrease divergence in one axis. Expand the axis by 2x and then reduce it back with this setup

Seems a Keplerian expander with a reversal in role would be less to adjust...How much loss in power do you report on this set up? I am assuming a 1/4 wave plate.Nice though.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

I can't really comment on losses because I never got around to building it, but with good mirrors and a properly polarised diode, you should easily get 90% of your power onto 50% of the original surface area.

Also, you would only need fine adjustment on the last mirror and the PBS

EDIT:
    I've just realised that you can eliminate the need for a third mirror, see attachement
    Last edited by FourDee; 01-03-2009 at 06:42.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    This is something I thought up when I was still planning to use a premade red in my projector. It's to halve the beam with of a red diode laser.

I don't have my regular drawing tools with me but I managed to whip up a quick image of what I mean.

If you have a red with a 8x5 beam, you can make it a 4x5 beam

Edit : you could even use this to decrease divergence in one axis. Expand the axis by 2x and then reduce it back with this setup
    This works well, but its old news and was patented a long time ago.

Damn it
    I had already filled in the patent forms

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Damn it
    I had already filled in the patent forms
    Yeah, back to the drawing board. Again

I am not sure about past patents. Pit, if you know it is patented, please give the patent number or the Assignee name so I can look it up.

In any event, I have seen this very thing done pretty recently in lightshow projectors.

Bill

Thumbs up

I'll see if I can dig it out, it's an old one but I have definitely seen it...