Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10W CuBr Vapor laser wreck, reanimate or cannibalize?

Hi!

Just to know...the gray cable coming out from the unit in the last picture is the power cable, isn't it? I thought gas laser required very high currents and often ran 3-phase. Is the power required by that CuBr tube so 'low'? What about a 4-5W ArKr?

All the best!
    Giovanni

CuBr lasers will happily run on 230v at about 10 amps therefore are OK on domestic supplies.

Thanks for the information!
    So it is a specific characteristic of CuBr tubes, isn't it? A Ar-Kr will certainly draw more current at the same laser power?

Default CuBr

They are just way more efficient. Much like a 40 - 80W CO2 will run on much the same power requirements. The gain is extremely high on these. Like CO2 lasers, they are EASY to get lasing too. It's really too bad that CO2 lasers are WAY WAY Infrared. 1.06 microns.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

You're right...wish CO2 emitted inside the visible spectrum!!! I would really like to own an ArKr and modulate it with a PCAOM but I'm pretty sure I couldn't run it with my miserable 5kW 1-phase home supply...and I am even luckier than most people, which have 3kW..

Default ArKr

You could always try a Lexel 75 or an 88. One is 1/2 watt, although, running ArKr, might only be about 200mW. The 88 will get you 1W or ArKr, maybe about 1/2W. The 75 is a 120v unit (in the US). Both are water cooled, but don't need 3 phase to operate and you'll get decent power out of them. You could probably find one used for less than an RGB SS setup.

A question for Steve. I know that apart, Argon and Krypton have their particular output properties and mixed, the gasses conflict, greatly reducing output. What if you used 2 tubes, say, 60X tubes, one Ar and one Kr and aligned them and lased through both tubes with broadband optics? You would have a greater output of white, no? Has anyone tried this? I know a mixed gas 60X gives you about 75mW and an Ar gives up to 200+mW and a Kr gives about 50mW. Am I talking crazy talk here??

Thanks for the advice! When I have recovered from the construction of my SS RGB, which has leaved me with no money, I'll investigate the possibility of a white light gas system...

All the best!
    Giovanni

Please excuse me, I was wrong about the output power on the 75. A used Lexel 75 will probably only get you about 300mW. Mixed, maybe only 100 to 150mW. The 88 could net you about 1.5W but mixed maybe only still 1/2W. The 88 requires 240V single phase at 40 - 50 amps, roughly the same power that a 3 or 4 ton home air conditioner consumes. I believe it could also be set up for 208V 3 phase as well. Steve might have to confirm. If you are not living in a house, then you may be out of luck for an 88, but a 75 will get you better power than a ALC 60X or Omnichrome 532. The downside, it is water cooled so you'll need flowing water or a heat exchanger (chiller). The upside, it is nice and quiet. How I don't miss the loud droning of a cooling fan.

I live in a house, not in a flat. So in theory I could ask to convert my 5kW 230V supply to say 20kW. The problem is quite simple: my father would not pay for such an expensive contract that he even does not need...Sadly, here in Italy electricity is quite expensive and the 'default' availability to a house is lower than other countries'..I find it difficult to go over 20A :-( Water cooling is not a problem, though. Of course I could overcome all these problems if I bought a power generator. There are pretty big ones and even 3-phase. *BUT* it would be very big, noisy and polluting. I'm a student and my parents (I know it for sure) would never allow be to place such a 'beast' in the garage just because I want to run some lasers...I could always collect several 12V car batteries and combine their power with a lot of inverters and then run the tube for 1 minute, if I'm lucky!!!
    Anyway, thanks for information! When I get some money I'll investigate the possibilities...

All the best!
    Giovanni

Guys,

The 88 also could be run from a switchmode PSU. We have a Lexel 88 swmode psu driving our custom alc909 to about 25A tube current, and it draws 20A from a 230V outlet. 25A tube current in our alc909 gives about 3.7W (when clean).

I know of a guy in Germany who was converting these to Whitelight. He may still have some of these. PM me if you are serious..
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts