Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: music laser show

Spaghetti does pretty much exactly what you stated you wanted, and supports a wide variety of hardware. www.harperingenuities.com

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    .... the Winamp Laser Visualizer plug-in , and so on...
    Adam
    Is the visualizer part of the pangolin package, or is it a seperate proggy ?

i tried to use spaggeti but it wont let me install it. it keeps saying net framework error. im using vista and dont know if its that.
    chhers oli

Spaghetti works on Vista. In fact, it is developed on Vista. I am surprised to hear about the .NET issue since Vista comes with .NET. If you PM me with some details (screenshots, etc) I can probably help you through it. It would also help me solve the problem for others.

Default ignore me

ignore that mate just tried installing it and it worked. i have just updated to service pack 1 and think that has sorted it out.
    cheers mate
    ollie

Smile

Things;

The Laser Visualizer plug-in comes with the LD-2000 package (all versions), but it's a separate program (actually a plug-in) that runs separately from the rest of the LD-2000 software. You need to have the QM-2000 board for it to work, obviously, but you don't need to have anything else installed (other than Winamp).

You can even have Winamp running (with the plug-in loaded) and also have Showtime running at the same time. When you stop showtime and switch the window focus to the Winamp visualizer preview window, the plug-in will be able to send laser frames to the QM-2000. When you switch the focus back to the Showtime window, the output to the QM-2000 from Winamp will stop and you're free to run shows from Showtime. It's pretty cool like that - you can swap back and fourth with just a few mouse clicks and keep both programs running.

BTW - the Winamp laser visualiser was created using the Pangolin SDK for the QM-2000 board. Pangolin didn't actually make the plug-in. It was written by Justin Frankel, who is the same guy that wrote Winamp and Gnutella. He's also a Pangolin user.

Anthony;

OK - I see where you are coming from. But before you get completely frustrated and give the hobby up, at least allow yourself the chance to see some of the content that comes with the LD-2000 package.

Adam

Ahh OK, so its not part of Pangolin as such, but it needs the pangolin hardware to function.

It would be pretty cool if there was a version that worked with the EzAudDac, seems like a pretty cool peice of software to me

Anthony has some good points I am sure. He has some opinions, and they are valid opinions. I won't argue that he is "wrong" because, people have an opinion or perception one way or another. Buffo had an opinion/perception and has changed it in the past. I am sure this is true of all people...

Anyway, I do want to raise a few points of my own:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    The LA studio package for the FB3 Sadfully doesn't do it like you show in the picture.

Yes it can sync to music but is does it externally true the PC timer or using Winmedia.
    LAStudio can synchronize to music, and there are a couple of options that are music related. One is MCI (a kind of windows media player). And another is Winamp. Winamp is external as Anthony said, but it is still synchronized.

LAStudio does not show the waveform as you have shown in your picture, but it's one of the reasons we give it away for free... Also, until around 2002, no laser software showed the audio waveform. It doesn't mean that such software is useless... You can scroll the time slider along and hear the music. In some ways, this is more powerful than seeing the waveform...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    The lak of sharing new shows and information is the proof for me. There are no usershows because the software isn't intuitive enough for some people)

I am a bit surprised that there is a lack of sharing shows for LAStudio here in the US. Several years ago, there was a lot of show-sharing going on, and a very active community of users in Germany, on Laserfreak.net. So I am a bit surprised it hasn't caught on more in the US myself.

The software is not as intuitive as our LD2000 system, but we put a lot of work into making things really easy to accomplish, while TRYING to keep the power in there. LAStudio is really a very powerful software package, and it has some features and capabilities that not even LD2000 has (in fact, some that I don't think any others have).

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    It would be pretty cool if there was a version that worked with the EzAudDac, seems like a pretty cool peice of software to me
    EzAudDac is interesting, and will certainly have an impact insomuch as reducing the number of sales of EasyLas made by JM Electronic. But there is one thing that Pangolin is very serious about, and that's safety. When we design a circuit for laser control, we implement fail-safe circuit design techniques. Sound cards don't have to do this, because if something goes wrong, the absolute worst thing that could ever happen is you blow a speaker. With a laser, if something goes wrong you can blow out an eyeball!

People who know our history might recall that we actually started out doing sound-card-related things in the earliest part of our history -- back in 1986. By 1989 we had graduated away from sound cards to using laser-specific hardware.

Sound-card-type control is OK for hobbyists doing things in their homes (and only exposing themselves or family members to the beam). But not really OK for professional use. It is our philosophy that, sooner or later, regardless of the initial intention, the system will be used outside of a home at some gig. So we always have product safety and liability as a chief concern.

Best regards,

William Benner

Just going to chime in here. I think that if you are in the laser hobby for the long haul or as a profession then it makes sense to get good quality software/hardware up front. If I was serious about this I wouldn't be using Spaghetti or Moncha, I would be using Pangolin (most likely). It will be less frustrating because Pangolin has the dollars to spend to make sure all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. There are those that will argue that it even makes sense to go with them if you are just a hobbyist tinkering around. That's where I divirge in opinion. The thing I like about the EZLaseDac, RiyaDac, etc is that it works with any software that will support it. Pangolin software will not and probably never will. But, there will always be hobby guys like DrLava and Zoof who will create games like Laseroids or LaserTennis or create alternative drivers for sound cards, or even myself who is creating free software to use with them. If you are just going to do shows and want professional results, go with Pangolin. If you want to play around and try other things or be able to use an array of products, then consider the other DACs and software packages. I think that all of them have their pluses and minuses. It's up to you to decide where you are going to go with all of this and to pick the solution that is right for you. It's kind of like asking if you would want to have a super high def TV that only lets you watch movies... or an old analog TV that lets you watch whatever you want and also play your Atari games. Depends on you.

Makes sence ...

The sound card does have 1 pretty good safety feature, that if the USB card comes unplugged, the laser just turns off. Deffinately not as good as Pangolin, but eh it works

Once I have a full RGB, and the money to blow, i will be buying a more serious DAC ..