Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: lighting

Default re

totally understand you comments. i do buy these fixtures in 4s usually but i have bought them in stages. all of my fixtures are in groups of 4 or more unless they were crap and i
    didnt want any more. im slowly upgrading my stock and would never get rid of any because i had bought more. its a sort of passion. when i was 12 i asked for my birthday a set of flash 4s so it shows i just love these things. ill probably never stop buying them so soon enough i will have plenty of martin and robe effects. in fact i am looking at finding some robe xt150s at the moment and i wanna buy about 4. im looking for second hand units at a good price so if anyone has advice on where i can get them it would be great
    cheers thanks

Default re also

as you were saying at the bottom of that thread. i wanna be able to do what you were suggesting by grabbing 2 or 3 lights and creating a new fx in seconds. can you give me some advice on products that do this and how they do this. does it use midi or something.
    cheers

Sounds like you have the right approach. It's mainly a hobby for me too which has developed over the years, although i'm (probably...) in a slightly better position than you perhaps having more years to have acquired things and a reasonable job to support the 'addiction'

As for the grab thing, most pro desks work like this.

So on Chamsys you'd patch your rig first and it would create auto groups for your common heads.

Then you simply go to the group window (again, imagine this on a touch screen to get an idea of how simple it can be) press the desired group button, press the FX button, choose the effect (e.g. sine wave), select the attributes you want to apply it to (e.g. tilt and dimmer) and there you have it, all the heads start sweeping up, slowly getting brighter as they get higher (this is known as a lift). you can then hit the tap button to bring it instantly into time with the music, change the spread over the heads (e.g. head 1 moves up, followed by 2, 3, etc, or 1+4 then 2+3 or any combination) all with a simple click/press. The FX library is huge and you can add user defined ones. You can modify size, speed, spread, etc of each effect on the fly, so in the above example you could make the dimmer only come up to half brightness or make the lift a small wiggle, or add a sawtooth wave to the pan even.

And if you like that look you can save it to a playback fader so you can bring it in again as required. You can even set the fader so it controls size, speed, etc so as you bring up the fader the lift gets bigger/brighter. Thats just a basic example.

Default wow

sounds like what i want. for now im concentrating on building a 1 watt rgb laser system and have not got the funds but i am looking at purchasing some more scanners and yokes. i want to initially buy 4 robe xt150s then gradually update maybe buying some more of these. i want some more scanners as they are alot quicker at mirror response too. i wanna end up with 5 more decent scanners and about 10 yokes i already have 2 and i may buy another 2 of them. then i might buy 6 xt 150s dont know yet.
    cheers mate

Default re

also if your looking to sell your which i guess your not give me a shout. cheers mate.
    just looked on ebay and there is only 1 going for £250 what do u think a good price is for buying 6? about £1000
    just dont know how much these are worth second hand. noticed they are £750 new and £450 exhire
    cheers

Hi,

Please don't even mention Robe.

I put 24 250 spots in a club here and they were terrible. We lost our ass on that deal and ruined a long standing relationship with a big client. Technically they were Coemars but Coemar had robe oem them. Nothing but constant problems.

One night with the club at max capacity, paul okenfold headlining, one of those damn things decided to unbolt itself, separated the yoke from the base. It fell 30 feet onto the only 2 square feet that was open and smashed itself.

Day one: Out of the 24 we had 5 that were stil births and another 10 that had some error or another. If I were smart I should have boxed them all up and demanded the client pay the extra 10 grand and get mac 250's. We went through 36 lights in 6 months.

Sorry that name drags up bad memories.

As for consoles we had a hog 500 and a hog 1000 and also a couple of light jockeys. I was the hog guy. I hated the light jockeys. I am very much a 'on the fly' guy and need buttons and faders. I spent a couple of months with a grand ma, really started liking that board. The Martin Maxxyz Is supposed to be pretty hot stuff. I have a ld friend in Vegas who swears by it.

chad
    Last edited by chad; 10-05-2008 at 23:34.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I put 24 250 spots in a club here and they were terrible
    Where they the 250xt moving head? I know they had some problems with them, they were OEM by Futurelight (MH-660) I think you just need to be aware of which era of Robe you're buying if going after 2nd hand stuff. I know of a lot of LD's who would rather have Robe now than Martin, but its horses for courses i guess.

Im intergued by one of the light's rigging failing, especially as we have some Futurelight MH660s, I dont suppose you mind sharing the nature of the fault?

Damn, I need some of that money, I can barely afford an Intimidator right now

EDIT: Shit, a light fell off your rig?? I get scared of my lights falling off my t-bar let alone a full on truss. Ouch ...

I am in a hurry right now but I will give you more details soon..

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.