Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: lighting

These are the stands I used to use.

Not cheap,£400 each, but near indestructible. Trussing was from Astralight.

Not cheap,£400 each
    For a lift of that size that IS bloody cheap!

It's one of the unfortunate things doing sound/light/lasers is that the 'non-fun' stuff costs an arm and a leg too. If someone had told me before I started to put my sound rig together that I'd spend well over a grand on cables and connectors I'd have thought twice (well maybe not...) I bought lots of lights before I thought about something to hang them on and then had the shock of my life when i looked at prices for even moderately rated stuff.

I agree, if you are doing anything more than pub gigs, you need equipment that isnt going to bend when you hang 8 intelligent lights from it. I also had occaisons when EHO's wanted to see weight loading certificates. Most dealers of low end stands cant supply you with this. Also, the smaller stands may hold 75Kg at 2m high, wind them up yo 3m and everything wobbles all over the place.

At one point, I had over 2 KM of cables, 120A & 63A 3PH distro. I once spent £400 on CEE connectors in one go. The big red ones aint cheap.

Default re

true, iv never really looked into that but the uprights are the very heavy duty parts.

i notice u had 2 weights there on the setup u use, on this one its 150kg evenly distributed.

i havent a clue what the uprights are rated to but iv had well over 100kg on it without any bending at all,

when i put too much on it i had about 160kg on it so decided to take 2 lights off weighing about 22kg and it was fine. dont get me wrong mate if you can afford better trussing i would never tell someone to buy this setup but its a very good lighting rig for a mobile dj.

just depends what the use of the thing is and of course the budget of the person

when i do large lighting setups i usually use scaffolding (i do have an ipaff license), it doesnt look as good as truss but does the job,

i would never do large lighting setups with this trussing as it cant take it but i would defenitly advise a mobile dj to purchase it as its a very good setup for 4 scanners 2 movers and 2 lasers. it sits on it perfectly and looks superb.

its really a matter of how much u can afford and at the moment the best trussing i can afford is units like this, id prefer more fixtures than trussing but it is on the list.

cheers for the info though as i didnt realise u could get wind up stands for £150 not too bad that last time i looked they were £349.99.

one more note never buy one from maplin as this was the one that collapsed. it was totally pathetic and didnt even have a brace in the middle

cheers ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

My shows were this big.

Those 2700 stands i mentioned earlier are under £130 pair at Thomann now and have TUV ratings on them. You'd need stand top adaptors still but i think they represent amazing value for money.

I appreciate its all down to cost but a half decent rigging set can make your life so much easier on setup/breakdown too which can be worth it's weight in gold

i havent a clue what the uprights are rated to but iv had well over 100kg on it without any bending at all,
    With stands you usually won't see any bending at all until it fails as the load is straight down. Dynamic loads like moving heads create havoc here and can mean lifts have to be over rated if you use lights of this sort. Failure points with vertical loads tend to be the joints where the legs meet the central pole, with either the pins or the pivot housing going first. Plastic/nylon can get brittle over time and crack
    Last edited by norty303; 05-08-2009 at 11:02.

Default re

lovely looking shows there mate, im building up to that mate,

totally agree with that norty, that why i want wind ups cause it could make things so much easier, im building up mate bit by bit.

the last time i spoke to u mate i was buying cheap scanners and im now trying to take ur advice and getting the likes of martin and abstract, and even coef which are totally amazing fixtures.
    id even say superior to the martins iv seen, the quality is amazing though im sure a nice martin mac 250 would put it to shame. hehe

im only 22 so by the time im 40 mate if i carry on the way i am at the moment i should have a pretty big setup including some nice trussing with electronic whinches the lot. hehe

few years yet though mate hehe

plent more of this first

cheers ollie
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    3 watt rgb .

Yep, piece by piece is the way

Just make sure that by the time you have a nice set of lights, you don't dump them on the floor (or heaven forbid, someone's head!) after you've sunk so much cash into them

That said, I can attest that good quality lights do bounce better than cheap ones!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    That said, I can attest that good quality lights do bounce better than cheap ones!

Golden Scan HPE's dont bounce very well.

Default re

bet they dont mate, there huge.

the guy i bought the coef kit off had 3 of em and they were about 4 ft tall

2 x 1 watt green laser
    3 watt rgb .