Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: realtime 3D graphics preview

Here is one that I hacked away on, but set aside for a rainy day- note I called the video Attemptest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAGvxUP7IIM
    Oh my what a good optimizing engine might do for this and other things...
    I'll keep at it, as long as there is fun to be had! That LD2000 SDK would be a treat, I just can't quite justify the outlay since I have an fb3 and easylase already. Maybe in the future though- I'm not in a big hurry.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Here is one that I hacked away on, but set aside for a rainy day- note I called the video Attemptest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAGvxUP7IIM

-Mike
    That looks pretty fooking cool! I want to see more of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    Bill, stop turning this thread into a Pango advertisement.
    I think you are joking, hence the wink, right?

Anyway, Mikko asked a direct question, I gave a direct answer. Surely that's allowed, right?

That LD2000 SDK would be a treat, I just can't quite justify the outlay since I have an fb3 and easylase already. Maybe in the future though- I'm not in a big hurry.
    We'll have a way to access the FB3 hardware soon too.

Bill

I think that Bill has a good memory and remembers that I had some pains with points waaay back in past posts. I have some good basic functions, like the LaserLine function from the original LaserToy code you (Zoof) sent me. That's the app that started the "ball rolling"! The whole color shift, dwell, anchor, etc started to make my head spin. I also started thinking about the object sort order routine for optimum blanking you mentioned- that would make the scanners breathe a lot easier I am sure. Trust me, I would love to get the nuts and bolts scienced out, but it would be much more productive for someone like me (with a humble degree of coding & geometry skill) to plug in a dll and hit the ground running. I write business apps for a living, but this stuff sure makes a great distraction!
    An FB3 communication object would be great- I use FB3 80/20 on my projector compared to the easylase. The only time I use the easylase is to play Laseroids or mess with my own code. That would be great not to have to swap the DAC back and forth all the time!
    Thanks, Mike

Sorry I forgot to ask (sorry for Bogart'n the thread)
    Hey Bill, a while back you mentioned that Pangolin was thinking about using an executable as a gateway to the hardware versus a dll. Is that still the approach you are thinking about? While I would like a more conventional DLL because that is what I have used in the past, anything that enabled the ability to send frames would be fantastic.
    Thanks!
    OK, one more thought closer to the original thread topic- One more from scratch thing I would like to put on the list would be a programmatically generated 3D tunnel. An object in the center could try to avoid collision detection when the tunnel curves.
    Good Stuff!
    -Mike
    Last edited by mikkojay; 11-14-2008 at 06:43. Reason: clarity

Hey Bill, a while back you mentioned that Pangolin was thinking about using an executable as a gateway to the hardware versus a dll. Is that still the approach you are thinking about?
    Yes. I think that will be "our way" going forward. There are several reasons for this, but I think this is the best way for the future.

OK, one more thought closer to the original thread topic- One more from scratch thing I would like to put on the list would be a programmatically generated 3D tunnel. An object in the center could try to avoid collision detection when the tunnel curves.
    Hehe. See attached. I can do something very similar with just a few mouse clicks .

Wanna fly through it in real time? No problem. Just manipualte the camera...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunnel.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	4583

Bill

Outstanding! I am so jealous that you get to play with all these fun things for a living- but I am also vey glad you do what you do! That's all I am going to ask Santa for this Christmas, but I'm not sure I have been good enough though.
    Have a good one!
    Mike

Hey, that "flight through the tube" was what I intended to do with the C4D-converter.
    Unfortunately it is not possible the way I wanted it to, Cathleen tried to help but her approach was not satisfactory either, so I'm really looking forward to BEYOND.

Quote Originally Posted by decix View Post
    Hey, that "flight through the tube" was what I intended to do with the C4D-converter.
    Unfortunately it is not possible the way I wanted it to, Cathleen tried to help but her approach was not satisfactory either, so I'm really looking forward to BEYOND.
    Hi Decix,

I am absolutely sure this is possible with C4D. No problem. Gotta be. But Cathleen actually was moving recently to a new house, so she didn't have much time to look into it.

Did you send her the file or not? If not, just send it directly to me and I will make sure she gets it.

Actually, I think the answer is that you didn't have the right "tag" settings. Anyway, if we get the files into her hands, I am sure there is a solution. I am sure I have seen our users do this very thing with C4D in the past...

Also, Decix, you should post a link to your page. I think everyone here on PL would like to see what you do. It's very impressive I think!

Bill

Thanks for the kudos but I don't want to go public with that link I sent you.
    Sorry for spoiling the surprise Decix . This stuff just looks so great, I just thought others would like to see what you have done.

For the record, would you let me, and the others, know how long you have been playing around with C4D or other 3D software?

(I am not baiting you or challenging you, just curious.)

Any news from Pangolin (BEYOND)?
    Yes, I already wrote in another post. It has been delayed while we work on something else. That's the bad news. The good news is that the "something else" is directly applicable, and will be made free to all FB3 users (possibly LD2000 users too, we'll just have to see the interest).

AND, I think the direction we are taking will influence what we do with BEYOND anyway, so it is a good distraction...

Bill