Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect white balance - feedback requested

Default Awesome pic

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    -------------
    Awesome pic, very very good.

Question This maybe a good question or stupid question...

What is the perfect "power" of white? All lasers 100% "on", or all lasers at 33% equaling 100% total?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    What is the perfect "power" of white? All lasers 100% "on", or all lasers at 33% equaling 100% total?
    That is exactly the same difference between a 33 watt and a 100 watt white light bulb. It's the same white. It's just brighter!

White is all in the balance between the red, green and blue wavelengths that you have.

Think of it like this. There is really no such thing as "gray" light.

James.

Yeah whether they're at 33% or 100% they're still at the same ratio so like James said, no colour difference only brightness.

The way to achieve white is going to be by adjusting your individual colours until the colour temperature of the overall mix hits the white point. As there are different colour temperatures for white, it can be achieved with different balances so I guess (never having done it) experimentation is the key to achieveing the best white.

I stand to be corrected here, (as my explanation is on my understanding of theory alone and others on here have done it), but I think the easiest way of explaining it is probably with the chromaticity diagram:

This diagram appears to be for 465nm, 556, 605.

The white area in the centre is more than just a spot but a broad dot in the centre with arms stretching out towards the 3 basic colours.

The triangle of course represents all the achieveable colours using those 3 wavelengths of laser.

With all 3 lasers at full power, you'll have a certain colour temerature and therefore colour overall.

This could be imagined by an "x" somewhere within the triangle at that point.

As you adjust the powers and thus the mix, the x (the indicator of the overall temperature of the mix) will move around inside the triangle and thus different colours will be observed. When you're trying to hit white, essentially what you're trying to do is adjust the powers of each of the 3 basic colours relative to each other so that the x falls into the white area of the triangle. Exactly where in the white area it falls will dictate the type of white you get ie warm, cold, colour tinged. eg. a slight blue balance will result in a cold white, a stronger blue balance will result in a bluey white (tinged) white, a slight red balance will result in a warm white, a stronger red balance will result in a red tinged white etc.

Within the area of white, literally thousands of different whites are achieveable. The key to perfect white is going to be to hit the whitest and brightest one of those.

Sorry, explanation is a bit basic but I'm no expert!
    Last edited by White-Light; 12-05-2008 at 01:40.

wow, so many niceful lasers.
    15W white, love it, .
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    I just got home from Qlimax now and it was nice seeing Hugo playing with his pretty lasers. The setup, from what I gather, was 1x 15W Jenlas white, 2x white OPSL (5W?) and 18x 5W OPSL green! Watching those can even make grown men cry.
    Hi, I was helping Hugo during this show, why didn't you come by for a nice chat? If you have seen a person playing with the smoke generator it was me

it was 19x 10W green (you see 18 because the lower right laser was broken)

Find the broken laser...

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Hi, I was helping Hugo during this show, why didn't you come by for a nice chat? If you have seen a person playing with the smoke generator it was me

it was 19x 10W green (you see 18 because the lower right laser was broken)
    I did speak to someone from laserimage, but his name slipped my mind. Don't know what the smoke generator looks like, so how would I recognize you? Who were you working for? I'll let you know if I'm planning on going on any other parties in the area. I think the next one is Trance Energy 2009 though.

Didn't know coherent made 10W OPSL, or are they 2x 5W combined? I want one either way.

Hi I did spoke with a german speaking guy who also build his own laser.

I also saw a guy giving Hugo a private applause and he shoke his hand

When I was in Hugo's workshop I saw him assembling the new lasers (They where just finished buiding 1 week for the event!) But I could not find the modules he used on the Coherent website. But I know it's a 10W module. (also seen on the powermeter in hugo's workshop)

I do not work for hugo, but at this event he was short on staff so I helped him controlling the 3 BMG smoke machines.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Don't know what the smoke generator looks like, so how would I recognize you?
    Well, it's a box which generate smoke

I was controlling the big fan to blow the smoke in the big area, I was standing in the back of the control area where hugo was.

I think he used the 8W versions tuned to 10W, because the powermeter was showing only 9,98W
    Last edited by mccarrot; 12-10-2008 at 11:34.