Thread: Laser licences

Default Laser licences

Can someone please let me know do you need a laser licence to use lasers in Australia.
    RGB Animation Lasers Class 3b Laser

Cheers

Tony

As far as I’m aware Oz has no licensing for use of lasers

However, I do believe there is "licensing” for use of lasers on construction sites but this is more of an OH&S safety thing (I.E. you have sat through a course on the safe use of lasers) and has no legal binding to it.

Also, there is an Australian standard for use of Lasers and this does detail practices of using lasers in various situations (including entertainment) refer to the following:

“Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 2211.3:2002 : Safety of laser products - Guidance for laser displays and shows”

BTW, in NSW you need a prohibited weapons permit to own (or at least to carry in public) a battery operated laser pointer above 5mW, and a good excuse to have one over 1mW!

And I think Victoria and WA have very similar laws

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Most states of Australia are fairly liberal with the use of laser, but at some venue's OS&H policies can require the correct paperwork and have a LSO on duty for the event.
    As Loopee has said, a prohibited wepons licence is needed if the laser is battery powered / portable.

Western Australia has some very strict laws related to laser usage:
    http://www.radiologicalcouncil.wa.go...AQ/Lasers.html

Tasmainia also has some restrictions - but not more than than reasonable.
    http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/__data/as...ertainment.pdf

B.

I havent seen any, or many laws in AU regarding show lasers. The idiots that shine lasers at planes arent gonna go out and buy a RGB, or any kind of show laser just to point at planes, so I do somewhat agree with the ban on pointers. I havent come across any laws on laser shows yet ....

WA are strict on lasershows. everywhere else isn't.

ARPANSA have drafted or are still in the process of drafting an update to their guidelines on the safe use of lasers in the entertainment industry, but its really up to each state as to whether or not they want to mandate these.

With the lack of actual recorded incidents in Australia, its not likely that any government body considers this a serious issue and thus one that warrants any funding spent on turning guidelines into regulations.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Quote Originally Posted by aijii View Post
    WA are strict on lasershows. everywhere else isn't.

ARPANSA have drafted or are still in the process of drafting an update to their guidelines on the safe use of lasers in the entertainment industry, but its really up to each state as to whether or not they want to mandate these.

With the lack of actual recorded incidents in Australia, its not likely that any government body considers this a serious issue and thus one that warrants any funding spent on turning guidelines into regulations.
    Yeah, I noticed the little laser in the JayCar catalogue wasnt sold in WA. I havent heard any bad incidents with laser shows in AU, so most likely they aint gonna bother with any laws on them untill something really bad happens ..

Post Regulations in australia

I did find some regulations on laser shows but nothing on licences.
    Great may be just a mater of time, because Australia is a licence this licence that country lolol

Cheers

thanx
    loopee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser regulations 2008.pdf  

Guidance - Laser Light Displays.pdf  

Yeah that just relates to outdoor shows, not lasershows in general though.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts