Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Quest for the Copper Vapor" - Oregon to Massechusetts and back.

No one can resist my barbecue ribs!

Already smoked for 7 hours and ready to reheat........ YUM!

We are also going to try and fire that sucker up if Jonathan is up to it. I got the video camera ready. We can maybe do a live feed as well. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Jonathan -

I hereby offer our plenty-of-3Ø and coherent power-meter, etc, and nice warm hallways to test your CV-beastie, there, if that is desirable... if not , it'll be cool to at least meet your 'new bride' there,
    j
    You have 3-phase at home?!!! I may be wrong here but if it is true that is awesome!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post

Do you take paypal and ship internationally?

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    Do you take paypal and ship internationally?
    I'm afraid they'd be all bones by the time you'd get them. The postal workers get hungry, ya know...

Any PL member is welcome to come over and have some of my Q provided they bring toys and/or interesting conversation.

BTW, Taste better than they look. At least I think so.

We are also going to try and fire that sucker up if Jonathan is up to it. I got the video camera ready. We can maybe do a live feed as well. We'll see.

WOW,,that looks good!

Default Quest FAILED. (for now)

Hmm, I'm hitting a bit of a roadblock here. I thought I had solved the electrical issues, but they're back and sort of worse. I was on the highway in Illinois when the car suddenly dropped out of gear -this was after the "check electrical" light came on again.

I've been all over the options of what could be going wrong.. I have a new battery, the terminals are now pristine, the alternator tested fine at Autozone..

Anyway, anybody have any specific experience with Dodge electrical systems? My theories include transmission solenoid, ignition, starter solenoid, or other weird electrical issues.

-Jonathan

OK -

Now you're just being cruel.....YUMM!!!

So, bringing those to SELEM next year?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

it sounds like it's probably a simple electrical sensor of sorts on the transmission. I dont know exactly what those transmissions use, but many have electrical sensors to know what gear the tranny should be in with "x" amount of throttle etc etc. DONT GIVE UP ON THE TRIP!! Take it into a shop really quick and have them patch it up, or at least have them tell you whats wrong so you can do it yourself. I know autozone will run the codes on the car for free, and if it was giving you a warning light there will be stored codes in the computer. If you get a warning light and then something goes wrong it's usually a pretty easy fix. It's when the lights dont come on and something goes wrong where you're going to spend a good chunk of cash.

*EDIT* I found this post while doing a quick google search:

"When the engine light comes on and the transmission goes into limp-in mode ( 2nd gear only) it means there's been a malfunction electical or mechanic. It's best to check for the codes 1st. A simple loose wire or a bad EATX relay can cause alot of problems. I'm currently arguing with a solenoid pack that is leaking transmission fluid out the plug area on the top. If you have no codes always have someone drop the pan as to change the filter to see what is in the pan before you let someone tell you need a whole transmission job done. I've been doing them for 24 years and I dont know everything yet. We all run into a puzzle every so often. Good luck and God bless."

So it looks like whenever your van has any issue that will throw a code, the transmission will automatically go into "limp mode" (second gear (unless you're going too fast, then I would guess it would go into neutral)). I also read that a lot of people have a problem with the speed sensor on the tranny. This can cause the tranny to go into limp mode like you described, and is luckily a cheap fix. I hope that helped a tiny bit at least
    Last edited by GooeyGus; 12-08-2008 at 19:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    OK -

Now you're just being cruel.....YUMM!!!

So, bringing those to SELEM next year?
    I think that can be arranged!

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    I also read that a lot of people have a problem with the speed sensor on the tranny. This can cause the tranny to go into limp mode like you described, and is luckily a cheap fix. I hope that helped a tiny bit at least
    Yes, Jonathan and I were talking earlier and I also came to the same theory that the speed sensor on the tranny is faulty.

It's ironic that I was in Autozone today and I had no idea that they would run diagnostics for free.

That will be my first stop tomorrow, then I suppose, if that works, I'll start heading back to Oregon. I'd continue, but my cohort has decided to throw in the towel so I'm left with just enough to get back to Oregon.

I'm not giving up the "Quest" per se, but it will probably have to be concluded with some sort of shipping method instead of a balls-to-the-wall trek across the country in a mini-van with 180k+ miles on it.

Thanks a bunch for the advice/support guys. I really doubt I would've figured out what to do without your help!

-Jonathan