Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know if Phoenix works with EasyLase DACs?

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

http://usbgear.com/USBG-5X1.html

James.
    Soundcard DACs are not a practical option, because there's no good software for them (and, no, LaserBoy doesn't count because it has no support for performances.)

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    I have a Pangolin USB thing in my projector already, and I don't like it very much. I seem to get much better results (sharper scan, better blanking) with my EasyLase, so I need some software that can drive it. Since my shows run from a laptop I can't really use any of the more expensive Pangolin cards, which means I can't use the good software. :-/
    Is that the Pangolin FB3 you're talking about, and if so, what software are you using? You might be missing out on some capabilities by not using a complete, matched software suite. The FB3 should be able to do just about anything any other similarly-priced package could do, and then some!

As far as the Pangolin UI -
    Keep in mind that LivePRO and TraceIT are currently the only Pangolin software packages that exist on both controller platforms (FB3 and QM2000). Outside of those two applications, there is a HUGE difference in the software UI and capabilities for the two controllers.

AND -

Pangolin is currently having a Christmas sale!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I've used both, and I don't really like either. My projector has an FB3, but in the past it's been plugged into a QM card. Yes, I have an up-to-date version of the software, and yes, I know the software is different on both. People have tried to sell me on this several times, and no- I don't like it at all. I also don't like the way Pangolin people keep trying to rubbish the competition... maybe that will change with the Great New Thing Bill was talking about the other day. I doubt it though.

Talking

Soundcard DACs are not a practical option, because there's no good software for them (and, no, LaserBoy doesn't count because it has no support for performances.)
    You might be amazed at what you can do with a whole bunch of "canned" wave files!

You can queue them up to play in order or you can fade from one to another. There is a lot you can do with some imagination.

As far as UIs go... sometimes less is more.

Sometimes a UI doesn't take you by the hand and lead you to (the same) result.

Some of them are open enough for you to find your own unique results.

Art is what YOU make of it.

I know you know C++ !!!

Shine on it.

James.

I've used both, and I don't really like either. My projector has an FB3, but in the past it's been plugged into a QM card. Yes, I have an up-to-date version of the software, and yes, I know the software is different on both. People have tried to sell me on this several times, and no- I don't like it at all. I also don't like the way Pangolin people keep trying to rubbish the competition... maybe that will change with the Great New Thing Bill was talking about the other day. I doubt it though.
    Dang dude(tte?) - chill!

You openly posted on an open forum asking for advice on software, I took notice that you had what I assumed was an FB3, and offered some advice that might help you get the most from something you've already invested in!

I don't think anyone that's posted is trying to "rubbish the competition", (although I detect a slight Pangolin animosity / sarcasm in your post) but you don't seem to appreciate anything anyone has to say so far, regardless of the commercial OR free software package (Laserboy) that is being mentioned!

Geez, with that displayed attitude, good frickin' luck getting any helpful advice.
    Last edited by Stuka; 12-08-2008 at 16:45. Reason: Gender correction, per James. Who knew!! : )
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thumbs up

Hi Sis,

You can try the free www.he-laserscan.de if you want.
    It works with the Easylase too.

Or for live performance the Moncha software: http://www.showtacle.com/Moncha.php

A.

(She's not a dude!)

On another note...

If you make an inexpensive sound card DAC, you will have yet another way to make laser signals. AND you'll finally get a chance to see how well LaserBoy renders images.

I think you'll like that!

Plus, I'd love it if you could keep a fresh Mac executable going for me and my distribution!

James.

Hey, chill.

I like LaserBoy a lot, but I can't use it for what I want to use it for. Canned wave files are all very well, but given that I've already got the EasyLase I'd really like to use that. I also can't see my colleagues getting on with the canned wave file idea- we need to do things like geometric adjustment which just isn't doable on the fly with that sort of thing. We don't get a lot of setup time usually, so re-rendering everything is not an option.

As for LaserBoy, hey, I do like it- I liked it enough to port it to MacOS, didn't I? I've been really really busy lately and haven't had a chance to work on it any more, but seriously, whatever I end up using needs- flat-out requires a better user interface. This is not 1970, the vt320 may have been the pinnacle of human-machine interface, but I need to be able to draw with the mouse. (I also need support for live performances, which isn't possible with LaserBoy...)

Hi :-),

The "main" Phoenix Programm works with Easylase but the "Phoenix!LIVE" Programm doesn't.

But i prefer a FB3 with LivePro from Pangolin instead of Phoenix!Live ( Its still not really "finished") and LivePro does have many more Features.

Cheers,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by icelase View Post
    Hi :-),

The "main" Phoenix Programm works with Easylase but the "Phoenix!LIVE" Programm doesn't.

But i prefer a FB3 with LivePro from Pangolin instead of Phoenix!Live ( Its still not really "finished") and LivePro does have many more Features.

Cheers,
    Frank
    I totaly agree, I have learned the hard way...

I used to have Phoenix Pro and Phoenix Live!. Now I have LivePRO, and I never want to go back to Phoenix.