Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know if Phoenix works with EasyLase DACs?

Yes, but i think Phoenix!Live is perfect for non Power-Users or better:
    Users which just want to simply "play" a liveshow without complex Controlling and without to spent a lot of time to the software handling.

Phoenix!LIVE is easy and i think its the best software for smaller Clubs which doesnt need all the features/complexity of LivePro :-)

But Phoenix!live is still in development... maybe sometimes it will be better than LivePro? :-D

cheers,
    frank

If you dont want the extra options from livepro you can also use the Mamba Black.

I have worked with both, and the only extra nice function in Phoenix live compared to Mamba is the beat function where you can select some frames to play on the beat. Other than that you can do almost the same with (free) Mamba Black

And other from that Phoenix still got a long way to go, especialy with midi support.
    I tried to map my novation remote zero in Phoenix live and it was a nightmare.
    With Livepro i was finished in 5 minutes.
    If you are not into show programming I would not wase your money on Phoenix, I allready did .

Other from that Pangolin also got a live play function in showtime, wit almost all the functions of Phoenix Live.

Smile

I believe a lot of the problems Heroic has experienced with her FB3 have to do with the fact that she's trying to run it on a Mac, by using a VM to run Windows on it. Bill mentioned in another thread that the specific VM she uses has known issues with the FB3 (and other USB hardware) and suggested that she use a different VM that Pangolin had tested in-house on a Mac and certified as bug-free. She didn't like that VM, however.

As for a QM-2000 being "vastly more expensive", I say compared to what? Because the last time I checked, Phoenix was selling for $1000 all by itself. Considering that an Intro package (software + controller + tons of content) can be had on sale for $1200 (now through Dec 31st), I'd say that the cost issue is a wash.

Now, if someone actually prefers the Phoenix interface to Laser Show Designer or Showtime, then that's a personal preference issue and there's nothing anyone can do about it. But I've played with the Phoenix software (demo version) and I *hate* the interface. I'll admit that the LA Studio software has a quirky interface too, but the software that comes with the LD-2000 system is a lot easier to use than Phoenix *or* LA Stuido, at least in my opinion.

As for LivePro - well, that's just the cat's meow, hands down. The beat-matching functions are absolutely the best. Not to mention the easy setup, the power of projection zones, the extra content, the DMX support, etc, etc...

Adam

I use Phoenix and Phoenix Live.....ok still in progress but workable. The easylease is connecting perfectly. I had Mamba Black but an other user here took it over from me. (It's a nice software but not as good as Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I believe a lot of the problems Heroic has experienced with her FB3 have to do with the fact that she's trying to run it on a Mac, by using a VM to run Windows on it. Bill mentioned in another thread that the specific VM she uses has known issues with the FB3 (and other USB hardware) and suggested that she use a different VM that Pangolin had tested in-house on a Mac and certified as bug-free. She didn't like that VM, however.
    Parallels USB doesn't seem to work at all with the FB3 on my Mac. I've tried; it just doesn't want to go.

The latest version of VMware Fusion seems to run it all just fine- our random crashes have stopped and the VM no longer reboots when I quit the Pangolin software. However, I *still* don't like a number of things about it- not least, my galvos seem to prefer the drive from the EasyLase, and I get much sharper performance from them when I use the EasyLase compared to the FB3. I don't know why this is, and I haven't managed to get the scope in the same building as the laser for long enough to find out...

As for a QM2000 being way more expensive- it would involve buying a whole new machine to run it from, as well as a new copy of Windows XP, and I'd have to cart around a desktop (since it's a PCI card) to every gig, which I just AM NOT going to do. The alternative- using the QM.NET thing- is even more expensive. No dice, especially when I already have the EasyLase.

well i haven't tryed phoenix but i do have lasecon pro and from what im told its the same thing almost basically what i was told was that 2 guys owned lasecon then split up and each of them sold the software to 2 different company's now laser promotions sells lasecon and the other company now call it phoenix

so having said that i have had access to a qm2000 for a few years (the company i work for has one that i can take when ever i want)
    i work for the company that makes merlin i also have had a fullauto/x29 key (no dac) for awhile

and i can honestly say lascon blows them all out of the water

i have never used or even seen a lasergraph dsp inaction so i cant say from experience but i have been told that the lasecon system is almost as powerful

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I use Phoenix and Phoenix Live.....ok still in progress but workable. The easylease is connecting perfectly. I had Mamba Black but an other user here took it over from me. (It's a nice software but not as good as Phoenix)
    You say Phoenix live 2.0! IS working with the easylase???

I returned Phoenix live because they would not wanted to make the easylase compatible! (big discussion with those guy because it was a political reason and not technical)

About the Price.

The QM2000 intro now costs ca 1500 USD this includes the software.

Phoenix Pro costs 2300USD + 350USD for the easylase = 2600USD.

With the cristmas special from pangolin LivePRO cost about the same compared to Phoenix Live

So there is'n't that huge price difference between both.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    well i haven't tryed phoenix but i do have lasecon pro and from what im told its the same thing almost basically what i was told was that 2 guys owned lasecon then split up and each of them sold the software to 2 different company's now laser promotions sells lasecon and the other company now call it phoenix

so having said that i have had access to a qm2000 for a few years (the company i work for has one that i can take when ever i want)
    i work for the company that makes merlin i also have had a fullauto/x29 key (no dac) for awhile

and i can honestly say lascon blows them all out of the water

i have never used or even seen a lasergraph dsp inaction so i cant say from experience but i have been told that the lasecon system is almost as powerful

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ
    Play the award winning Pango show "RITM IS A DANCER" on your QM and try to do this with lascon/Phoenix... Good luck.....

ok give me a copy in the lascon format and i will

but seriously why do you think it cant play it?

I don't mean play it, I mean make it.

(But even play it would be difficult because of (sort of) raser scanning background scenes in this clip)