Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Your daily portion of Photons

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    gee,, i wonder if thats over the MPE levels..
    Yes, practicly ALL shows here in europe are above MPE.

Have you ever seen a MPE show in a venue with normal ambiant light? the show will just look dim and customers will not be satisfied.

I hope for you guys they safety experts will allow the new 10x MPE rule any time soon in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Yes, practicly ALL shows here in europe are above MPE.
    How do you manage to get that allowed? Are health and safety people more tolerent?

Here's a good video for you.

Looks like Gatecrasher really excelled themselves at GC7 at Leeds last month.

Takes a few secs to get going (past the white out at the start that obscures the lasers) but then there are some really intense colour scans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOZ5ETmNacI&fmt=18

Watch it full screen as its good quality.
    Last edited by White-Light; 05-31-2013 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    How do you manage to get that allowed? Are health and safety people more tolerent?
    There are no real Health and safety rules for lasers here in the main land of europe (Germany got the TUV, and we gerealy follow the TUV rules)

The funny thing is there has been many shows done at levels of 100xMPE and higher but no single (official) report of eye damage with audiance scanning.

100xMPEand above is realy pushing the boudaries and personaly I wouldnt take this risk, but on the other side safe MPE shows are also not accepted by the crowd here in europe becouse it looks just dim. (unless you have complete darkness)

And even if you do a higer than 100xMPE and you hit someones eye and there is a litle tiny scar on his retina which will not affect his day to day live (I speak from my own experiance) would this be a real problem? Its kinda like drinking and standing next to loud speaker in the venue, with drinking you also kill brain cells and standing next to a loud speaker you will also damage you hearing.

Please read the documents on laserist.org about 10xMPE audiance scanning, this wil give you a better idea.

The difference is that most people understand the risks associated with drinking beer. People are not expecting a potential eye injury when they attend a laser show that is crowd-scanning at 100X the MPE.

I agree that the damage is minimal and will probably not be noticed. That doesn't change the fact that it's UNEXPECTED by the paying customer. 10X is one thing, but 100X is quite another.

I'd like to see the 10X standard introduced, but I doubt it will happen here in the US. Too many lawyers! I agree that the 10 mw/cm2 limit is extremely restrictive. But considering the number of hoops we'd have to jump through to change that, I just can't see it happening.

Adam

I think control in the UK is quite strict for one off events. I remember Insanity saying he gets checked very heavily.

I think where clubs tend to get away with higher levels is where they have laser license for permanent laser installations as I think checks are few and far between then, probably only at renewal or periodical - most healthy and safety spot checks are announced in advance in the UK!!!

However, in the UK I don't remember of ever hearing of an eye injury through laser use so it looks as if UK club owners are generally responsible. I've certainly never seen shows as bright as those in mainland Europe.