Thread: DJ Lighting From eBay Fixed!

Default DJ Lighting From eBay Fixed!

Its taken two weeks to fix but its done! I bought this from eBay for £10 knowing that it was faulty, the seller apparently never looked inside so he didnt know if it was just a fuse or not. After going through 4 fuses and almost being electrocuted I found it was the transformer which after breaking open the copper coil was actually melted.

So, new transformer, new fuse and new bulb in there and its working perfectly . Bought for £10, repaired for £20 and worth about £50.

Not showing off quite how much it looks in person, the 100W bulb actually gives out beams in a lit room with no smoke . Its focused so much that you can actually see the coil on the bulb which I need to refocus. Its meant to be squares.

Its sound reactive in two ways, simple rotating to the sound in different directions or flashing and rotating in different directions.

Cant wait to try in a smoky room with lasers and strobes

I will try some beam shots later tonight.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

I have the same kind of effect, but it can pan aswell. The shape of the output is actually fine, thats how they are supposed to look, you cant really re-focus them.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    I have the same kind of effect, but it can pan aswell. The shape of the output is actually fine, thats how they are supposed to look, you cant really re-focus them.
    I can adjust the distance of the bulb from the reflector dish and the lens at the front which I guessed would focus it. It looks cool, I just thought it looked odd because I can see the coil on the projection.

Anyone know of smoke coming out of these?

I think, and hope, its coming from the light bulb area seeing as that's where the smoke appears to originate from and there is a slight smoky look on top of the unit above the bulb.

Are they meant to me like that? Its rather unnerving seeing smoke coming out of the unit like that.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

What kind of smoke? It is possible that the air above the light vibrates, but if it is visible smoke then you might have a problem. I have a similar unit that broke down because of the heat. It runs now continuously instead of turn by each beat. It might be safe to add a fan or something.
    Maybe it is just dust that came on the bulb.

There is a 100W bulb in there that gets hot incredibly quick and there was a bit of smoke when it was repaired. It hasn't been moved or used for a day so it could be dust.

The kind of smoke is similar to when you blow out a small candle, a small stream of thin smoke comes out of the top.

It never had a fan in it before and it looks like it has been used for a long period of time in the past so I am really not sure.

Yes even though it is only 100w it will get very hot, just think how hot a 60w household bulb gets after it been on for a short while. My moving heads after a 2 hour show, I have to leave them for at least 15 minutes to cool down before I can touch them, that is the fixture not the bulb.

It most probably is just dust, try blowing the unit out with a vacuum cleaner or something, run it for a couple of hours but keep an eye on it just in case it is something else. Don't leave it on anything that could burn and that includes wooden floors, tables etc. Best if you can hang it.
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    Yes even though it is only 100w it will get very hot, just think how hot a 60w household bulb gets after it been on for a short while. My moving heads after a 2 hour show, I have to leave them for at least 15 minutes to cool down before I can touch them, that is the fixture not the bulb.

It most probably is just dust, try blowing the unit out with a vacuum cleaner or something, run it for a couple of hours but keep an eye on it just in case it is something else. Don't leave it on anything that could burn and that includes wooden floors, tables etc. Best if you can hang it.
    Yeah, the manual for it says leave it for at least 5 mins to cool down after use before moving it. I used it for about 30 mins non stop just testing out the sound active mode and the top of the unit was hot, but just bearable to touch.

It has been a full day and my room is being decorated with more plugs and things being put in (lasers, speakers etc. need plugs ) so it could just be some of that dust in there.

It hasn't had a proper clean out yet so I will do that tomorrow seeing as it needs a few tweaks anyway. Only trouble with testing it for that long is I have two mode options which are constant light on sound reactive and flashing sound reactive, both move the beams about just the flashing one which turns the light on and off as well as moving the beams about to the sound is the one I use the most and both modes need music at a rather high level to work well.

Edit: Video testing the sound reactive/flashing mode.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfwGglkcRg

Ok I left it going for 15 mins last night and a bit of smoke kept coming out now and then and it flickered a bit. I took it appart earlier and it seams its arcing between the + and - on the bulb contacts, theres a nice build up of solder crystals on the bulb pins as well.

Looks like I need to replace that as well.