Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guns n' Lasers...

Guns and lasers, two pieces of hardware that I thought are cool and that I have experience with.

IMO lasers are still very cool, guns not so much.

I changed my mind about guns during the year I was responsible as a safety officer at a shooting range. Apparently I get worried when people that I don't know (well) hold loaded guns in their hand and get very excited about shooting them. But that is just me - and I'm happy to live in a world where people have a hard time obtaining a gun.

Laser pointers are restricted here (Netherlands) to <1mw which is a good thing too!
    Other than that the comparisons between guns and lasers is far off IMO.

A much more interesting comparisons is that of the use of guns and that of alcohol (!) but that should probably go onto a different forum

Unfortunately, you're wrong about lasers not being used as weapons agains humans.

James.

I think you need to give examples. I know that lasers have been used as weapons against people, but not that they were designed for this purpose.

Default dr evil

Dr Evil used them against humans and even put them on sharks
    evil bastard
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw
    this is a fricking laser
    pussy lasers kill 1 in 5000000000 people

its all in this how to book
    $19.95
    Last edited by tony220171; 01-03-2009 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by tony220171 View Post
    Dr Evil used them against humans and even put them on sharks
    evil bastard
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw

pussy lasers kill 1 in 5000000000 people

its all in this how to book
    $19.95
    Cool - SELEM mascot!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    ...... I could also see where someone from a country with strict firearms ownership regulations, who has spent little or no time around firearms, would feel very uncomfortable dealing with the subject, and is more likely to base their opinions on "research" posted on the Internet.

And, I still think it's totally ludicrous to compare gun ownership to the safe or unsafe operation of lasers in public venues -
    But that's just my thought...

I feel the guns are a sensitive issue for you guys.......

And yes I found those numbers on the internet but that does not take away those numbers are real, and owning a gun can not do anything about those numbers.

Maybe I expressed myself wrong in the first place by comparing lasers and guns, but i ment its HYPOCRITE to have very strict rules on lasers (used for entertainment) and very loose rules for firearms (use for KILLING people)

In my opinion a gun (made to kill people) is not a toy and should only be operated by proffesionals (Army) and not by people who think a Gun is cool gadget or have the need to protect there homes.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    I feel the guns are a sensitive issue for you guys.......

In my opinion a gun (made to kill people) is not a toy and should only be operated by proffesionals (Army) and not by people who think a Gun is cool gadget or have the need to protect there homes.
    Yep, you got that right!

As has been mentioned several times now, one of our country's founding principals is the right to personal firearms ownership and the right to raise a militia, if necessary to protect our country and ourselves.

I don't think ANYONE who has voiced an opinion supporting firearms ownership even begins to think of guns as "toys". And while I'll agree gun owners need to receive training and taught to how to handle the weapons safely, the idea of leavings the weapons ONLY in the hands of the "professionals" goes completetly against that principal our country was founded on. (And that comment comes from one of those Army professionals who is getting ready to retire after 21 years in the service). Concerning home defense - well, let's just say that if it comes to protecting me, my family, and my home, I'm damn glad I don't have to depend on my 5mw laser pointer for protection!!

And and far as OUR rules go, the rules for LEGALLY owning and using a firearm, especially a handgun, can be VERY strict. Anyone here can actually OWN a laser system who can afford it, no questions asked! But, when it comes time to entertaining the public with a laser system - yeah, there are rules, very strict ones, if necessary, to ensure the safety of the public.

Thankfully, I live in a country where I am free to own and enjoy, within reason, both firearms and lasers. And, for the record, outside of some "official business" in the Middle East, neither I or any of the hundreds of gun owners I've known over the years has EVER pointed a gun at another person, but we have shot up a LOT of ammunition! It's called "Sport shooting", and various versions of it are even sanctioned as Olympic sports - which, unless rules have changed drastically, don't involve shooting at human beings.

Huh, what a concept - guns being used for something other than killing!
    Wow, what will THAT do to upset the anti-gun "experts" on the Internet!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-03-2009 at 16:29.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    The only time I've EVER seen a laser projector that was "done" was at SELEM, by MechEng3. The ones (yes, plural) that he brought were amazing.

James.

Agreed - those puppies were awesome!!

My projector, on the other hand...
    Well, it looks great with the lights out, but up close, it kind of reminds me of the Bride of Frankenstein!!
    RR

Sweet.....

Arrow

i wish the uk had the same stance on firearms (in a way), but in the uk not a lot of people know the can legally own a gun for there protection/sport (loads of checks/tests as well)_. to tell you the truth its a GOOD thing, BIG TIME ,other wise we would have EVERY (LEGAL) chav ON THE BLOCK GETTING 1 (mental age of ten ).AND that would be scary , so many people over here have them and they aint licenced ,RUNING ROUND LIKE THE BIG I AM,but if you cant protect yourself legaly your f@cked . been shootin with family and in europe (sick guns that nearly broke our shoulders)and relised what these weapons can do and its f@cking scary. can't knock the states because we are about 10/15 years behind with this and the UK is just seeing what knife/gun crime is all about. most of the people i talk to think it will never touch there lives .(dream on )

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Yep, you got that right!

As has been mentioned several times now, one of our country's founding principals is the right to personal firearms ownership and the right to raise a militia, if necessary to protect our country and ourselves.

I don't think ANYONE who has voiced an opinion supporting firearms ownership even begins to think of guns as "toys". And while I'll agree gun owners need to receive training and taught to how to handle the weapons safely, the idea of leavings the weapons ONLY in the hands of the "professionals" goes completetly against that principal our country was founded on. (And that comment comes from one of those Army professionals who is getting ready to retire after 21 years in the service). Concerning home defense - well, let's just say that if it comes to protecting me, my family, and my home, I'm damn glad I don't have to depend on my 5mw laser pointer for protection!!

And and far as OUR rules go, the rules for LEGALLY owning and using a firearm, especially a handgun, can be VERY strict. Anyone here can actually OWN a laser system who can afford it, no questions asked! But, when it comes time to entertaining the public with a laser system - yeah, there are rules, very strict ones, if necessary, to ensure the safety of the public.

Thankfully, I live in a country where I am free to own and enjoy, within reason, both firearms and lasers. And, for the record, outside of some "official business" in the Middle East, neither I or any of the hundreds of gun owners I've known over the years has EVER pointed a gun at another person, but we have shot up a LOT of ammunition! It's called "Sport shooting", and various versions of it are even sanctioned as Olympic sports - which, unless rules have changed drastically, don't involve shooting at human beings.

Huh, what a concept - guns being used for something other than killing!
    Wow, what will THAT do to upset the anti-gun "experts" on the Internet!!

I think having a gun for hunting or sport (which both is totaly legal in most europe countries) is totaly different than having a Gun under your pillow to kill intruder who enters your property.

And I think you dont have the right to kil another human even if it's to protect your home.
    If you think this way you'd be better off living 100 years back in the wild wild west where you could solve a issue with a gun fight.

Protecting your home, country etc. is a Job of the Police and the Army, not you and your gun.