Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guns n' Lasers...

Yeah...the police. Tell that to a friend that had to defend his safety and family well being one night. Armed intruders....while they were home.
    So you think he was going to call for the local sherrif?

The reasoning behind this usually prompts would-be thieves to opt out. The alarm industry has made it almost impossible to get into your home without being detected. But then it's your call what to do from there ... if your home. But by then you would have at least good pictures of the losers.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    I think having a gun for hunting or sport (which both is totaly legal in most europe countries) is totaly different than having a Gun under your pillow to kill intruder who enters your property.

And I think you dont have the right to kil another human even if it's to protect your home.
    If you think this way you'd be better off living 100 years back in the wild wild west where you could solve a issue with a gun fight.

Protecting your home, country etc. is a Job of the Police and the Army, not you and your gun.
    Yeah, I can see it now -

"Please, Mr burglar / drugged-out freak / murderer - even though you broke into my home with the premeditated and desperate intention of committing a crime against me and my family, would you mind waiting until we can mobilize the Army and the local Police force? Sure, I realize since you broke in you are probably armed yourself, and I realize that in your desperation you'll probably figure out that killing us will probably extend your chances of getting away undetected. But, I'm sure you'll be reasonable and wait until all the proper authorities arrive, and we'll all have a nice, calm sit-down discussion and work this out peacefully."

Yeah, I'm sure that's the way it would work out...

BTW -

There's a HUGE difference between protecting your family out of necessity, and "solve a issue with a gun fight".

Oh, that's right - living in the USA today is JUST like it is depicted in the old West and gangster movies.
    Damn, I've been here all my life - how COULD I forget that!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Chicken and egg story.

Why do you think the burglar is carrying a gun.
    a. because it's easy to get a gun
    b. to protect himself for the house owner with a gun.

99% of the intruders do not cary a gun in the Netherlands.
    (maybe only if they are planning to rob a bank)

The intruder is only in your house to steal stuff or money, not to hurt you or your family.

The death counts due to guns are that high in your country because of your way of thinking. Stealing your VCR does not give you the right to kill a person.

With your way of thinking you should always carry a gun with you because every day you could walk into a drugged murderer.
    But I dont think the number of Gun casualties will drop if everyone start carrying a gun.

Why is it that our "Dutch" european home a resonably well protected without the need for Gun protecting.
    Maybe its the crazy people in the USA.... you guys do have the most serial murderers.... more than the all of the serialmurderers from the combined european country's.
    How about that for generalize and prejudices

BLA BLA BLA..... this topic is going nowhere..... i i think it doesn't belong on this nice forum.

Don't get me wrong... i don't hate guns.... i just hate people :-)
    I was one of the few that had a permit for sportshooting (10mtr handgun and airrrrrrgun).. its a hard sport en can be relaxing/challeging.
    I don't do it anymore because my elbow doesn't like it anymore.

I have never felt the need for protecting myself of my hose using one of the guns... the munition and gun where stored seperate in different gunsafes.

maybe it has something to do with mentality and a less GUN HO culture.

hey-

just my 2 cents here...

but i REALLY think this thread is going to take a VERY bad turn for the worst here VERY shortly!

its already starting to get to an "insulting nature." and people are going to start saying things and tossing inuendos out there that i have a feeling are going to SERIOUSLY piss others off.

maybe...and again, just *MY* opinion...maybe we should agree to disagree here???

this debate has been argued for years and years and years in the past and will be continuously debated for years and years to come. i really dont think Photonlexicon members will solve this debate intellegently on this forum while comparing audience scanning high powered lasers with laws and statistics based around U.S. gun ownership.

just my 2 cents.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    hey-
    ...maybe we should agree to disagree here???
    Thas a nice quote to close this topic with ??? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post

maybe...and again, just *MY* opinion...maybe we should agree to disagree here???

this debate has been argued for years and years and years in the past and will be continuously debated for years and years to come. i really dont think Photonlexicon members will solve this debate intellegently on this forum while comparing audience scanning high powered lasers with laws and statistics based around U.S. gun ownership.

just my 2 cents.

-Marc
    Works for me - especially the part about NOT comparing lasers & audience scanning with US firearm ownership - which was the intent of the thread to begin with!

Reckon' I'll call it "basic point made", strap on my shiny pair of nickel-plated ivory-handled Colt .45 six shooters, shoulder sling a couple of bandoleers of ammo, mount up, and ride off into the sunset, just like it shows in the movies.

Giddy-up, y'all!!

PS -

I am curious about one thing, though -

You guys in the Netherlands kick out some kick-ass laser shows, but you still worry about someone stealing a VCR?
    Dudes - VCR's are SO last century!!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-04-2009 at 15:13.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

LOL please come and steal my VCR. here.... take two
    leave everything else alone though or there will be consequences.

I'm with Marc on this one...
    let it go..

There are too many "international" friendships here with our PL community and common interest of lasers.

We don't live in the USA .. we don't have the right to interfere in how they live. "When in Rome" !!

We don't want an "international" incident here ...

Lets move on... now about that 445 mix. !!

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

This pretty much sums up my train of thought.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM3j34i81Fk