Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High Output Coherent Diode Lasers, I Need Some Help!

Default High Output Coherent Diode Lasers, I Need Some Help!

So, I acquired a couple of Coherent Diode lasers, supposedly 808nm @ 60W and 160W at a swap meet. I want to get these units running! With the little water cooled heads I received a 5VDC @ 150A power supply that works great.

Here's my problem... How do I go about regulating the output current and voltage of this PS to run and not kill the Coherent laser diode arrays?

Also, I'd like to get specs on these units.

• What is the required flow rate and pressure needed for water cooling?
    • What is the voltage rating of these units?
    • What is the threshold and maximum current for these units?
    • What is the average output power of these units?

Here are the part numbers, serial numbers and manufacturing dates of these units.

The big diode reads, "M/N 1041178, S/N HP-028, MFD 7-27-04".

The little diode reads, "L-026-W02442, LIM-81-60-36-18.9, 3-26-02".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Adam

From what I have been gathering 20-22 C. the temp. tunes the Diodes.I found for 60 watts 21.3C. my sweet spot.
    1GPM 10lbs psi

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    From what I have been gathering 20-22 C. the temp. tunes the Diodes.I found for 60 watts 21.3C. my sweet spot.
    1GPM 10lbs psi
    Sweet! thanks for that piece of info. What kind of pump are you using? Radiator? Power supply?
    Thanks!
    Adam

Adam,

A cooling setup from a computer does really well. Here is a great setup that will get your diode up and running quickly!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106077

You use everything except the block. I guess if you wanted, you could have the coolant flow through the block and mount that on a TEC to get the water even cooler!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Adam,

A cooling setup from a computer does really well. Here is a great setup that will get your diode up and running quickly!

You use everything except the block. I guess if you wanted, you could have the coolant flow through the block and mount that on a TEC to get the water even cooler!
    HA! That's funny. I have the same setup on my computer here! I'm actually looking for something a little cheaper to experiment with until I'm ready to implement the laser. I currently have an aquarium water pump and 1000ml beaker for testing purposes. Once I get the laser running, I'll probably go for a more elaborate/permanent setup.
    Thanks!
    Adam

Adam,

Not sure if it was the same model that Ben mentioned, but several of my local Radio Shack locations had had a bunch of the Themaltake stuff on clearance last month (~1/2 off, as I recall), seeing a similar cooling kit as well - fan/heatsink, fluid, etc. Nothing on the RS website though...

Might be worth checking into.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Adam,

Not sure if it was the same model that Ben mentioned, but several of my local Radio Shack locations had had a bunch of the Themaltake stuff on clearance last month (~1/2 off, as I recall), seeing a similar cooling kit as well - fan/heatsink, fluid, etc. Nothing on the RS website though...

Might be worth checking into.

Greg

HUH?????? Radio Trash up here doesn't even stock resistors anymore! Only cell phones and Ipod accessories. People around here are too stupid to fix or build things I guess. When I used to work at RS it was still an electronics store, now it's a damn toy store. My local RS has nothing more complicated that a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    HUH?????? Radio Trash up here doesn't even stock resistors anymore! Only cell phones and Ipod accessories. People around here are too stupid to fix or build things I guess. When I used to work at RS it was still an electronics store, now it's a damn toy store. My local RS has nothing more complicated that a battery.
    So true, the one here has one of those geek squad or whatever and even they don't know anything about computers...
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Dick Smiths electronics here in AU has gone the same way unfortunately

Adam, you could try getting in contact with "MarioMaster", I believe he has the same 60W laser diode as what you have there.

Nope,,
    See you need below 22C those computer coolers will not do it!they don't go below ambient temp.
    I tried it,,temp just climbs above the working temp.I put the heat block back in the system with stacked TEC's the systems cooling loss just ate that up!
    I am using the pump from the computer cooler,Chiller for large aquarium(Compressor type)( http://www.aquacon.com/aquariumchillers.html works great!!
    My cheapy cooler!well a a little over 1k$ fishy coolers are spendy not as much as a Neslab!

This worked when it was freezing outside http://www.photonlexicon.com/gallery...00018.JPG.html

Currently I am working with my friends at the Danger Den(http://www.dangerden.com/store/produ...23&page=1#tabs) to make a heat exchanger plate with 300 watts of TEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Adam,

Last edited by Lasernerd; 01-07-2009 at 03:57.