Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: qm2000.net ip conflict

Unplug the QM.NET, open a browser window and http://192.168.1.1. If ANY device setup page pops up, that device is the conflict.

doug

The QM.NET is connected to a physical NIC, and the connection to the LAN is via a Wireless card built into the laptop.
    This is most likely you problem

Windows assigns automatic metrics to the interfaces depending on what is thinks should have a higher priority, when you have a physical connection and a wireless connection with the same addressing the physical connection is seen as a better connection (usually because it’s faster) and will route all traffic via that interface.

So what is happening is that Windows thinks that to get to the internet the physical interface is the better bet and therefore passing all traffic via that interface.

You can go into the network setting and adjust the metric but in this case it won’t help you.

What you need to do is set the QM2000.net address and you network cards address to a different subnet, i.e 172.16.0.X, windows will automatically recognise traffic for that address and route the traffic via the physical interface.

The downside of this is that nothing else in your network will be able to talk to the QM2000.net device

The other thing to check is that the QM2000.net doesn’t have the same address as the gateway (your Modem/Router)

Hope this helps

Troy
    Last edited by loopee; 01-11-2009 at 14:32.
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Unplug the QM.NET, open a browser window and http://192.168.1.1. If ANY device setup page pops up, that device is the conflict.

doug
    no device pops up except

nothing pops up except

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.
    really appreciate all your suggestions

maybe time to thnk on it overnight

dave321
    dave321

Quote Originally Posted by dave321 View Post
    no device pops up except

nothing pops up except

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.
    really appreciate all your suggestions

maybe time to thnk on it overnight

dave321

Don't try to web browse to it as unless the device responds to WWW/port 80 you won't get a response.

And I don't think the QM2000 has a webserver in it

Try pinging it instead

Example:
    open a command promt and type "ping 192.168.1.1" and see what you get back, if you get "Request timed out." there is nothing there, anything else means that there is.
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Dave321

Just had a thought on how you can possible make it work with your current addressing.

If you go into the network setting and change the metrics so that the wireless card has a metric of 1 and the physical adapter has a metric of 2 and remove its default gateway address it should work using addresses in the same subnet. (i.e. 192.168.1.X)

To change the metric go to network settings of the appropriate network connection
    (Start / Settings / Network Connections and pick the interface, Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection)

Then Click on “Properties”, scroll down to “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” and double click on it, Then click on “Advanced..” down the bottom of the window.

At the bottom of this window will be a tick box with “Automatic Metric” with “Interface Metric” under it.

Un-tick the box and enter either 1 or 2 in the “Interface Metric” box as detailed below. Click on all the Ok’s to save it

Then go through the same process for the other connection and set the metric to the opposite of want you set first.

Local Area Connection = Metric 2 and remove Default Gateway
    Wireless Network Connection = Metric 1

There are a couple of caveats to this, they are:

1. You can still use DHCP but only on the wireless connection, but not the physical connection, so you’ll need to manually set the address on that connection
    2. If you take you laptop somewhere else you will need to reset the metric and DHCP to use the wired connection and set it back again to connect to the QM2000

TO be honest though, I think it would be easier just to change the address of the QM2000 box to be something else (i.e. 172.16.0.10) and manually set the wired network connection in the same range (i.e. 172.16.0.1) with no default gateway.

Hope this helps

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

loopee,

i have just tried what you suggested re changing the metrics, unfortunately that did not work either, once again the internet works with the qm disconnected but not when it is connected, and the qm works when wireless internet connection is disconnected but not when the internet is connected.

i appreciate your time and effort, i think it is time to email pangolin and see what they say.

the strange thing is i have had them both working when both are connected prior to frying my hard drive

incidentally, i was very impressed with your photos of your projector at iferent stages of build, particularly the mirror / dichro mounting to accomadate different beam output heights
    ......very impressive !

dave321
    dave321

Hi Dave321

It sounds like you have an IP conflict somewhere

Do you know the address of your QM2000 and you modem/router?

If they were the same you would get the issue you’re having know.

incidentally, i was very impressed with your photos of your projector at iferent stages of build, particularly the mirror / dichro mounting to accomadate different beam output heights
    ......very impressive !
    Yeah, it turned out alright
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Thumbs up Problem Solved!

After someone in an earlier post recommended changing the I.P. address of the QM.Net box, which I had no idea how to do...I thought I'd try changing the DHCP scope on my Router for the LAN.

Rather than using the 192.168.1.x address with subnet of 255.255.255.0 for both the LAN and the QM connection...I changed the router's DHCP scope to 172.16.0.x with 255.255.0.0 so my WiFi connection is on a different subnet to the Wired connection to the QM box and this seems to have cured the issue.

I can now browse the net, and use the QM box at the same time.

Dave321
    dave321

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Always nice to see a resolution posted.
    Especially when it's from the Original poster.
    That's what makes forums such a great source of info.

Nice one.

Yes, fantastic Dave!

Glad you got it resolved and glad to see this forum working and people participating in the solutions!

Bill