Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Free Software !!!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

keeperx, this is 3 times you have said that.

In the future, would you wait until all of the rest of us have had time to download the code before you comment? This way some of us might get to use it before the angry author pulls it, never to be seen again?

Thank you for your future cooperation! :-)

Steve

Smile

Why do REALLY smart people have such a hard time with interface design?
    Because it's not something they're worried about when they build the software themselves. It's only when the product is finished, when they step back and try to show someone else how to use it, that the problem becomes evident. And by that time it would require a lot more work to re-vamp the interface. Plus there is the irritation factor to consider. Sort of the "I can use this software, why can't you figure it out?" kind of thing.

This is why there are published standards for interface design. It's also why software development teams try to standardize the interface early in the development period. (It's harder to make changes later.)

It's a common problem though. Common enough that companies have to institute policies and standards to combat it.

Adam

steve-
    If i have an opinion about the software, im damn well gonna share it.

Besides, the interface has nothing to do with the genius of the software..

Like buffo said above, this is a common problem.

adam-
    yeah i can see that being an issue. the problem is that if you have a developer that places the interface as the lowest priority, the software NEVER reaches its full potential and you end up with a incredibly useful and relevant application that nobody uses because the interface is awkward.

As much as i love laserboy (and i do) i loathe its interface..

Deans interface is very gui but my problem is that if i accidentally click on the background, the application disappears.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

James and Dean and I have nothing to gain from a good GUI. We still get paid the same amount for our software.

There are a lot of things I want to improve about my GUI but there are more things I want to improve about non-GUI things. I do this in my free time so there is only so much I can do.
    Last edited by carmangary; 01-12-2009 at 08:36.

I totaly agree.. free software is awesome and i have no right to complain..

its more of an observation..

I HAVE ofeered MANY times to help james with a GUI but he just refuses to admit there is something wrong with the interface when i have CLEARLY and LOGICALLY Stated the case.. james is to GUI what ILDA is to proper format 3

Being a software guy myself, I do notice the little issues with making the software user friendly, but you have to think in terms of the development that takes place on such projects... The GUI is only a pretty face to the logic that lies behind the scenes. Most of the time, the GUI is made by the same person developing the back end, and as such, it falls victim to being the tool for the developer who made the software to simply test and use the software. I can't tell you how many times I make a piece of software and put it out, it works great, and seems to me (who's been using it all the time I've been developing the program) to be very functional and very easy. Yet, once I step away for a year then go back to it... DAMN! THIS THING IS COMPLICATED!

The proper way to develop GUI's is to have the backend separated from the frontend. GUI development should be done by users, or by someone else who is more detached form the backend, and more connected to users (i.e. via user feedback). This adds hassles and extra work not really affordable in 'FREE' software, or rapid prototype projects...

My current method for developing GUI's starts as soon as the program starts. Make the gui, play with it long enough, like it, leave it for a couple days, try it again... then once it's good, move on to the backend...

Just my $0.02

On the flip side, thank you James for shedding some light on this new tool

--DDL

YES !!!
    The proper way to develop GUI's is to have the backend separated from the frontend. GUI development should be done by users, or by someone else who is more detached form the backend, and more connected to users (i.e. via user feedback). This adds hassles and extra work not really affordable in 'FREE' software, or rapid prototype projects...
    I SOOOO Agree

And yes i do think this new tool will do awesome stuff...

at least LaserWave comes with DOCUMENTATION ! ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    I HAVE ofeered MANY times to help james with a GUI but he just refuses to admit there is something wrong with the interface when i have CLEARLY and LOGICALLY Stated the case..
    I thought LaserBoy was open source so that anyone could work on it.

There are a few things that tie laserboy directly to the SDL platform.. once he breaks that tie i can help create a GUI in FLTK

Yes. I'm hoping to break all ties to everything, so I won't even need a computer pretty soon!

It's a good thing I already know you're a dick KeeperX. Otherwise I might be offended.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 01-12-2009 at 13:28.