Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The big TEC driver thread!

Reviving this thread...

I just found these excellent circuits:
    http://redlum.xohp.pagesperso-orange...lePWM-TEC.html
    http://redlum.xohp.pagesperso-orange...Y5600.html#pwm
    If I get the time I may try the super simple one soon.

The first link even links back to this thread, a loop!

did by any chance anyone make any boards for this one?

i'm looking for a simple tec controller, wouldn;t want to get into pcb-making myself as it has been years since i last did it and the die4chills are not available any time soon

any ideas please?
    "its called character briggs..."

I started with a microprocessor based design, using PID. In the end I determined that proportional only control sufficed so I gave up when I found this kit http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com/...6127b0d082b4e6

This board can be assembled in 2 different control methods, proportional or thermostat with hysteresis. Proportional mode is what you want to drive TEC's.

I modify the proportional gain (much more gain) to suit my needs (a single resistor change) and it works remarkably well. In the end, it works very similar to Die4chill.

This design uses 2 x opamps as an oscillator, 1 x opamp as the proportional error amp and the last opamp to mix the oscillator and error signal to produce the mosfet drive. The board will happily drive most TEC's and/or fans.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    and the die4chills are not available any time soon
    I have been speaking with Robin about doing another run of Die4chills.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

wow!! i think a lot of people would be interested in this one!

thanks so much wayne, i'll probably ask you again about this modded resistor when i get my hands on this kit

thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    wow!! i think a lot of people would be interested in this one!

thanks so much wayne, i'll probably ask you again about this modded resistor when i get my hands on this kit

thanks for your help!
    No worries mate. Once you get the kit built (schematic is included) drop me a line, I can then advise which resistor to change to suit your needs. I also replace the included setpoint trim pot with a precision multiturn trim pot for finer setpoint control. As supplied the kit covers a very wide temperature range (+10c to +60c) so you can even add a pair of resistors to either end of the trim pot to further improve the fine adjustment as I have. Personally, a setpoint range of +20c to +30c is heaps.

BTW, these guys have some cheap low power 635nm modules in the laser section.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I have been speaking with Robin about doing another run of Die4chills.

i also talked to him a couple of times, nothing in his scopes for an unknown period of time

Default tecs

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I started with a microprocessor based design, using PID. In the end I determined that proportional only control sufficed so I gave up when I found this kit http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com/...6127b0d082b4e6

This board can be assembled in 2 different control methods, proportional or thermostat with hysteresis. Proportional mode is what you want to drive TEC's.

I modify the proportional gain (much more gain) to suit my needs (a single resistor change) and it works remarkably well. In the end, it works very similar to Die4chill.

This design uses 2 x opamps as an oscillator, 1 x opamp as the proportional error amp and the last opamp to mix the oscillator and error signal to produce the mosfet drive. The board will happily drive most TEC's and/or fans.
    hi i hope you can help me sorry for all the questions i am a noob to tecs, i have a die4chill but dont think its upto the job
    i am building a 2w rb module which will use 6x640nm 2x445nm diodes, and i will need to tec cool the 8mm plate that its all built on.
    because of the size of the plate (170x170mm)i will need to fix it down on 4x 40x40mm tecs to keep it stable, but would only need to power three of them, would this kit be upto the job ? i dont think i need much cooling, just want to keep this lot at 20deg c ,
    could you recomend 3 tec's to use with it, how to connect them ,series or parrallel?
    what sort of power supply ?
    thanks
    Last edited by badger1666; 12-10-2010 at 13:17.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    hi i hope you can help me sorry for all the questions i am a noob to tecs, i have a die4chill but dont think its upto the job
    i am building a 2w rb module which will use 6x640nm 2x445nm diodes, and i will need to tec cool the 8mm plate that its all built on.
    because of the size of the plate (170x170mm)i will need to fix it down on 4x 40x40mm tecs to keep it stable, but would only need to power three of them, would this kit be upto the job ? i dont think i need much cooling, just want to keep this lot at 20deg c ,
    could you recomend 3 tec's to use with it, how to connect them ,series or parrallel?
    what sort of power supply ?
    thanks
    Hi, lots to consider. I would guess these are 30-60W TEC's based on the size. That is a lot of cooling potential. Personally I would wire 3 in series, you will require a supply of 12-15V for this. The key is to provide a supply that is just enough for the job with the TEC's on most of the time (in my experience) as you achieve finer control.

I would start with 3 x TEC's in series on 12V supply, at least 2-3A will be required.

You really need to experiment with this, but I think the above starting point should be a good place to start.
    This space for rent.