Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lumia Extravaganza

Default Lumia Extravaganza

Well, extravaganza might be pushing it, but with a little help I would like to see a de facto lumia thread...

For some great reason, lumia effects have been popping up in threads here and there on PL lately. This is strange and wonderful to me, since just this last weekend I felt compelled to build my first lumia wheel, even before my browsing detected the pattern here. Maybe we are in sync like bees?

Pictures Please! Whether it is a sample of modified glass, plastic, etc- samples of great lumia pics new and old (although I can tell you for a fact that cameras don't do these justice), motor drive & controller ideas, ...

With that being said, here is my lumia story:

As a kid back in about 1980 or so, my mom took my brother and I to a sold-out Pink Floyd laser show in Omaha, NE at the Civic Auditorium Music Hall. As we walked in, I remember my mom saying, "I wonder why it smells so sweet in here?" to which my brother, at about 14yo exclaimed, "that's hash!" This could be why they didn't need hazers back then to get great beams...

The show was incredible and left a lasting impression on me to this day. There were no graphics or pictures- just effects that were expertly matched to the mood in the music, and the crowd. The effect that I remember most vividly was a slowly swirling veil of shimmering red light that looked like something from heaven. It was so cool I almost couldn't stand it.

Fast forward to about 2001- I am in my neighbor's attic and he is showing me a collection of vintage Stingray bicycles. He gestures to a stack of solid wood doors and tells me that he rescued them from a dumpster at the University of NE Omaha during a reconstruction in about 1980. He gives me one, which I take home and cut lengthwise to make a corner decoration in the house I just bought. I removed 2 pieces of privacy glass from the door & replaced with clear glass in order to frame some family photos. I placed the old glass panels in my "shit box" and forgot about them for about 8 years.

Last Saturday, I dug one of the glass panels out and cut a circle. I have made a few stained-glass windows, so luckily I had all of the tools at hand. This is probably another reason why I didn't junk the privacy glass in the first place too. I used a Dremel moto tool with a diamond bit to punch the center hole through the glass.

I attached the wheel to a disco ball motor & fired up a spare green 100mw to check it out. Wow! Why hadn't I tried this a few decades ago with my grocery store hene!?

As it sets, the disco motor rated ar 1.5 RPM is still too fast. I'd like to find something controllable from 0 to 2 RPM. Maybe a trip to the thrift store is in order. Any ideas? I am definitely going to use an analog driver with a potentiometer so I can make the colors BLEED in softly and slowly. I'll be sure to post some more pics and vids as things develop. Care to join this trip?

-Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The_Door.JPG  

Room_148.JPG  

Lumia_Wheel.JPG  

Lumia_Lasing.JPG  

Angelic_Lumia.JPG  

Hankscraft motors are perfect for this. Here's a link to an ebay auction for one from a very reliable seller. 1/2 RPM is perfect! http://cgi.ebay.com/Hankscraft-DC-mo...QQcmdZViewItem

Question

Nice! Any chance you would have enough glass to make a few more circles would you?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Excellent! I just bought one- how's that for turnaround time?
    Here is a pic (for when the ebay link dies- don't ya hate when that happens?)
    Thanks DZ, that is a great find.

Maybe I could use some pulleys and gang together multiple wheels- with all that gearing, it should have enough torque to spin 3 pretty easy I would hope.

-Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HankscraftDCmotor.JPG  

Last edited by mikkojay; 01-14-2009 at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Nice! Any chance you would have enough glass to make a few more circles would you?
    I could see that happening- I don't have a ton, but I do have a little extra. I also haven't given much thought to the ideal diameter- mine is coincidentally the EXACT same diameter of a roll of electrical tape that was laying on my bench. How's that for freaky?
    -Mike
    Last edited by mikkojay; 01-14-2009 at 19:35. Reason: kant sp3ll

LaserWizard and I made a movie of all his lumia toys a few years ago. I should dig that tape up and cap some video clips from it. I had lumia idea the other day - grow some big, fat salt (epsom salt works well) crystals on the inside of a wine glass - something like this.

I'll take some actual lumia pics when I get my 405 diode running.

~C

Lightbulb

Welcome aboard C! How would you "keep" such a lumia; or is this a short life span lumina that is easily replaced.

Thanks! Been lurking for a bit and decided it was time to get posting.

I think they would hold up for a while, but over time vibrations and wear and tear little chunks of the crystal layer would fall off, but it would be $0.50 and some time to grow another layer of epsom salt crystals on a glass. Not talking precious gems here!

~C

Maybe it would just morph with age! That's an interesting idea & thanks for the pic! We are looking forward to more. I might just have to make a trip to the glass shop tomorrow- I'd better bring a pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

Althat...

I've got lots of glass for lumia. Back in 2007, I offered up to the members on PL that I would cut and grind wheels for my cost (read: cheap) on the glass, plus shipping. I think this worked out to like $7 for two "4 or "6 wheels.

I have several types, ranging from the classic lumia effects, to some weirder stuff. Sent some to Buffo and Carmangary, so they can vouch for the quality of the lumia. If you want a wheel, just let me know. Only drawback is that I will cut, grind and ship as time allows, so expect a little delay.

My latest find: spinning a faceted shot glass where the laser is aimed at the base...pretty cool - like a lumia vortex. I'll post some pics soon.

Greg