Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More home grown laser software

I've got an M-Audio oxygen8 usb midi keyboard/controller I'm using during development, so that will be first. Pitchwhell, modulation wheel, 8 knobs, 1 slider, 25 keys.

I think DMX and MIDI would serve equally well and come down to a personal preference type thing. I'll have to start the ebay hunt for a dmx controller. From playing around with HighEnd Systems DMX controllers back in the day I remember they had some brains to them - that might work better than a midi sequencer, but personally I'd prefer a small keyboard and knob twisting for live play.

DMX will definately come into play if this gets moved to some sort of stand alone box. That way standard DMX msgs can get fired away at it and it will know how to play nice! Where can I find this list of standard assignments?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by Agent C View Post
    I'll have to start the ebay hunt for a dmx controller.
    Don't! Use freestyler, it is a very good piece of software to control dmx. Much better than any conventional universal dmx-controller with 8 sliders and cheap in comparision than the big dmx-controlsystems of the big guys. Even better: it is free!
    I know you prefer sliders, but Freestyler supports also midi, so you could add any midi-controller with as many sliders that you want.
    The only thing you have to pay for is an USB to MIDI interface. I have a self built one, works very well (except on gigs of course! ).

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Don't! Use freestyler, it is a very good piece of software to control dmx. Much better than any conventional universal dmx-controller with 8 sliders and cheap in comparision than the big dmx-controlsystems of the big guys. Even better: it is free!
    I know you prefer sliders, but Freestyler supports also midi, so you could add any midi-controller with as many sliders that you want.
    The only thing you have to pay for is an USB to MIDI interface. I have a self built one, works very well (except on gigs of course! ).
    Hmmm, controlling one piece of software with another, wil that work? DMX controllers aren't too expensive, really!
    Life is short.... Ride it hard!!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

No, they are only one hundred little tiny euros. That is a lot of money for me!
    But with the correct drivers and maybe two screens, or better: a touch screen for one program, this can't be that hard, right?

I'm not much of a fan of a touch screen for controlling things like that. With real hardware you can control multiple knobs and things at once. With a touch screen you are limited to one touch at a time.

thats not the case anymore there are bunch of ways to do multitouch
    here is one but there are a bunch using a wii controller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ftJh...eature=related

Those screens won't just plug into your computer and let you do stuff like that. It needs a special interface and the software has to be aware of it. You won't be able to hook it up to Windows and be able to click two buttons at the same time. Windows only allows one control to have focus at one time.

Back at the top of this thread I mentioned the lemur - this is the pipe dream controller for my project:

check it out - the JazzMutant Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Those screens won't just plug into your computer and let you do stuff like that. It needs a special interface and the software has to be aware of it. You won't be able to hook it up to Windows and be able to click two buttons at the same time. Windows only allows one control to have focus at one time.
    Windows 7 will do just that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDQ0wUcSPQ

Cool. I didn't know that there were putting that in Win7. I figured it would be just a rehash of Vista. Thanks for heads up. I should download the beta and start working with it.