Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More home grown laser software

Life is short.... Ride it hard!!

Not expensive and will take a beating.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

CG, here's a way to add USB driven DMX to your code that everyone can get. I'm using a older QM32 without DMX, so when I go into the field to work on people's stuff, I needed a DMX sender that would make it through airline insecurity that I could afford to lose if I had to toss it at the airport etc.

I'm not a bug fan of Velleman, but this thing works well and is inexpensive. And it ran 24 hours straight without glitching, off a windows system, twice, while cycling through 16 actuators on a beam table after I rebuilt the table for a customer. You can preview the API, DLL, programming whatever at the Velleman web site.

So one of these and a Northlight Systems decoder, is not a bad piece of kit.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/pr...iew/?id=522065
    http://www.apogeekits.com/dmx_controller_vm116.htm

one gotcha, some of the very early ones (2 years ago) had the DMX signal pins flipped in the connector, so if you buy one off ebay instead of a recent one, you may need to cut two traces on the board and flip em.

They have some new ones out on the Velleman Euro web site, I don't know anything about them.

Steve Roberts

Thanks for the link. It would be nice if there was a common driver model for things like DACs and DMX devices. Reminds me of the old DOS games where you had to configure the sound card on every game.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

there is for input devices, HID for usb is interchangable.

Nobody at the USB working group ever thought you'd need output devices other then sound cards, disk drives and printers. So USB output devices have non standard protocols.

Thats sad.

Steve

Somehow and in somewhay Open Sound Control is a standard protocol/abstraction layer that can be translated to midi or DMX. That's how I'm implementing physical control into my software atm.

Default Lemur

Casey, that Lemur is awesome! $3,000? Can you make up your own control surfaces for it? - Tim

You sure can

Just wanted to drop a quick update. I did a major rewrite of the software to push all the vector data into classes, got 6 channel signal generation for X,Y,R,G,B,I. Interpolated points are automatically added whenever two points in a segment are too far apart, and last night I just added in code for slowing down the blanking jumps so that the scanners can actually manage them. Here is a first light picture.

nice..
    The optimization is important so you don't break anyones scanners with your images.

I released some frames as just sample art but did not say that they were only samples, i did not know the difference at the time but the frames were no scanner safe..

you never want someone to say that your software caused problems with your scanners.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group