Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan_Ham diode driver (analog)

Hi
    scuse me,i'm italian and know very low quality english ;-D

which value has 1R? or it must be calculate? Why the value is not expressed in ohm?

thanks
    Blu

Quote Originally Posted by Blulaser View Post
    Hi
    scuse me,i'm italian and know very low quality english ;-D

which value has 1R? or it must be calculate? Why the value is not expressed in ohm?

thanks
    Blu
    Hi, 1R is shorthand for 1 Ohm. 1R5 would be 1.5 Ohms.

Assembled one on the prototyping board. Rebuilt input cascade on IC1A as voltage comparator for TTL/CMOS signals. Measured frequency range(with comparator on IC1A) is about 2-3KHz - I think enough for laser shows
    At this moment works well.

Well, after a bit of messing around, the driver is fine. I attached a test load and everything worked as expected. I hooked it up to a little green DPSS and set it to 300mA and it works great! I guess the problem was not using a proper test load on the output.

Did anyone ever come up with a soft start circuit to add on?

If not, would a soft start PSU solve the problem (although I confess to not having seen any OEM versions of these).

I think the simplest way to get soft start is to add small capacitor in parallel to laser diode. I added ceramic 0.1uf but if you dont need wide frequency range then you can increase it to several uF.

Surely that will affect the on/off rates when blanking is switching on & off?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Why not change D1 for a Transorb (TVS transian voltage supressor)? But to have good protocetion for the diode the wires to the diode must be really short.

There are directional and bidirectional transorbs available.

Probbably the lasorb is a combination of a 15V bidirectional transorb and a low capicitance multilayer varistor, but this is just al really wild guess.

Antony, if you want to do some testing with transorbs, I have some 6,8V directional transorbs, and som 15V bidirectional transorbs at home I'm happy to send you for testing!

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Why not change D1 for a Transorb (TVS transian voltage supressor)? But to have good protocetion for the diode the wires to the diode must be really short.

There are directional and bidirectional transorbs available.

Probbably the lasorb is a combination of a 15V bidirectional transorb and a low capicitance multilayer varistor, but this is just al really wild guess.

Antony, if you want to do some testing with transorbs, I have some 6,8V directional transorbs, and som 15V bidirectional transorbs at home I'm happy to send you for testing!
    Thank you for the offer!!

I am currently verry busy with different things....i don't have the time or knowledge to perform these tests/modifications.

I am also at crossroads with my laserhobby.
    Different things/orders have gone wrong for me, making it all al less plesant experience.
    Also some serous changes in my private life.

I am taking time off to relax and to pickup my photography so i can feel a little bit better.

Maybe someone else can step in and make the stan_ham/photonlexicon driver what it should be.

i'm verry sorry

Yes I know how thing can go, If your 10th laser diode got killed again, and you just bougt DPSS is jellybeaning as hell it can be a big dissapointment.
    In laser hobby cheap does not exist.

But hey, if I must choose between wathing some foto's (pohotgraph or watching a lasershow, I know what I will choose. Watching photo's with friends give a much less oooohh aaaah effect

At this moment I'm busy with the laser safety stop I need for my next show, and also busy with the baby room, becouse we are expecting a baby.

For the laser diode protection I'm just going to put transorbs over the laser pins (SMD version) and transorbs (normal version) over the input of the Die4Drive laser, and hope diodes will last longer.