Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM venue search continues

That's fantastic news! Any info available on how late we can stay and how much $$$ it will cost?

Thank you Adam;
    DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Thanks for all of your hard work Adam!!

Just thought of this...

When I wanted to completely blackout my windows, I would use aluminum foil. Obviously this is not the ideal solution for us inside considering its reflectivity... but if we cover it with a dark sheet of cloth, whatever passed through the sheet will not get out through the foil... it will also absorb the beam so there is no real harm from reflection. Another thing about Aluminum foil too is one side is super reflective, and the other is usually dull (as per my experience with it). We can put the dull side facing inwards to further lessen the reflection harm... Not to mention that if they have blinds already, we can just tape the foil below their blinds, no need for the 'antireflective' solution

Obviously wood/plastic boards would do just fine, but will require mounting and will probably cost more

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Smile

Thanks for the Kudo's, guys.

Re: the windows. Yeah, tinfoil would work, but I'm thinking that a couple sheets + the existing curtians should be enough. It's a long bank of windows, and it would be a lot of work to put all that foil up. Plus we don't really need it to be pitch black inside. (After all, the venue in downtown Orlando had a pair of glass doors at the front, and we were OK with that.) Also, I don't think we'll be aiming the lasers in that direction. I'm pretty sure I've been in the building at least once, and if it's the one I remember the windows are all along one wall (next to the river), so we'd be shooting parallel to the windows.

As far as rent - I don't know yet, but I'm hoping to get it for $100 or less. (Hoping that they'll have pity on us.) Plus my Mom was the sectretary of the boat club for a couple years, so that might give us an "in". (The funny thing is that my Mom was thinking of quitting the club after this year. But if we get this venue, I might have to convince her to remain a member for a couple more years!)

Time should not be a problem. I'm thinking we'll be able to stay until Midnight at least. Maybe later. But I told my Mom to ask about that as well. She's going to the Commodore's Ball tonight, and will see what they say. If they are open to the idea, she's going to put me in touch with them to hammer out the specifics.

Adam

Lightbulb

I can take a trip to represent.

hey all-

im in for this! adam, dave or whoever...if you need help calling places or talking to anyone let me know. (adam you have my #).

im in CT, but obviously i am more than capable of making phone calls and arrangements.

do you guys have like "elks lodges," or knights of columbus clubs or things like that? those guys rent out their halls up here for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING just to make a few quick easy dollars.

they dont give a crap what you do there either. as long as its legal obviously and clean when youre done.

how about some sort of a town building also? town hall like in n. carolina for SELEM. they are very rarely used on weekends right? im sure you have all thought of these things, but just trying to throw some ideas out there.

school gyms? warehouses? airport hangar? moms basement? (i want cookies!)

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Lightbulb

He said basement... in Forida... HAH!

I have thought of Elks or Moose but not called. I also want to check the civic center but can't find a #. I am hoping to find a nice warehouse local but do not know of any and need to take a drive. I will try this weekend if the boss gives me a moment.

That's actually a good idea Marc, I'll have to look around here for one of those elks lodge, or maybe even a union building, since that's what we were using in Orlando. I've been mostly looking for a theater or auditorium.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

eh, that black polyethylene sheeting that comes in rolls for garden work is cheap....

Steve

Lightbulb

I just left a message for my local theater. They do not show any plays going on during the time we would need it.