Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM venue search continues

Exclamation FLEM venue search continues

Hey guys;

Well, it looks like the Maitland Art Center is out for a venue choice. I haven't heard back from them since the board meeting. They revised their quote to $450 for a full day (9 am til 10 pm) and they never resolved the fog machine / fire alarm issue either. So they're out of the running in my book.

Aaron, you said you might have a line on an empty shopping plaza in Eustis... Any more details about that? (Tables and chairs are going to be a problem with that venue, as will the large glass windows in front, but it should be CHEAP at least.)

I called a couple hotels in Tavares (about an hour outside of Orlando), and found one that would rent a conference room for $125 for the whole day (9 am until midnight). Plenty of tables and chairs available, and lots of 110V outlets. They also had no problems with us covering the smoke detectors with wet towels to prevent them from being set off by the fog machines. Only problem with this venue is that the room is pretty small - only 24 ft by 31 ft. (Basically the size of a large 2-car garage.)

So, anyone else got any ideas? Come on - let's make this happen!

Adam

Het Adam

You would be more than welcome to come and join us at UKLEM 4

Whilst you're at it why don't you drop a line to Bill and ask if he'll carry your luggage over

Seriously though, I hope you manage to find somewhere to hold FLEM (just re-read that sentence and it sounds yukky )

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Another thing to consider is a venue that will permit loud music. I kinda doubt a hotel conference room is going to allow music at the levels we want. The empty shopping plaza sounds promising... I can look around in Jax, though its not very centrally located. Maybe Palatka would have something. I think small towns like Palatka could offer the best options.

Cool

Palatka is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that before, but yeah - smaller towns are probably going to offer better bargains on room rental rates.

Adam

Lightbulb

Shoppng center is a bust. The guy is selling it to the 7th Day Avents or something and they take over next week.

Adam, is there any type of club hose around you mom's place? Be nice right there on the lake.

wow.. that just remindes me.. imaging calling one of the "SPACE FOR RENT' signs and say that you want need a building for a get together and would pay the 100$ for 1 day as long as it was the correct place..

bet if you called a few someone would be like.. 100$ for 1 day and i have to do nothing at all.. hell yeah..

those spaces are just sitting there doing nothing..
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Cool

No idea Aaron, but I'll have a look around and see what I can come up with.

Alec's idea is a good one. Might want to check into those "space for rent" buildings...

Adam

Wink

Heh, I called one already. there is an old antiques auction house beside the old golden gem plant in Umatilla. They have not called back but I will try again.

the guys at the Miami Museum of Science (Planetarium) offered to host us, we would need to arrange the date way ahead of time tho... they have a 65' dome and a large room they use for important people parties and temporary exhibits next to the planetarium that isnt part of the normal museum... i know its a bit far for a lot of you, but hey, its a venue right?

the exit sign should give you an idea at how big the dome is lol

thats a pic of my 3 NEC projectors running RC4 (3d web-remote capable winamp plugin) that we were doing for a while during the shows

Lightbulb

We won't qualify... we are not important people. I think Adam said March 21st or 28th. Miami might be cool. I have never been there and the boss might go for that. I was hoping for local.... localer. A venue like that might be very nice!