Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermotek Chillers Exposed! (TEC Question)

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    My Bad,,, I meant to type 127 "couples"... They are 40 X 40MM, 16 x 16 pellet TEC's The pellets are approximately 1.6mm squared.

Also, all 10 TEC's are run in series to the 28V supply.
    Look at any supplier data or guide. 127 couples is a standard form for 12V operation with efficient pumping. (Vmax between 14.5V and 15.5V depending on whose data you look at). Don't you think it's a bit weird that 10 of them are in series, on only 28V supply? Sounds to me like the supply is borked too (or is currently set low), and should output 120V max.

Also, if you're just trying to remove heat from the diode modules for high power CW and you're not worried about exact temperature for tuning or cooling below ambient, why not water cool them instead. Lot cheaper and easier.

EDIT:
    Melcor also do a 70W 40 mm TEC, CP1.4-127-045L. Qmax 72W, Vmax 15.4V, Imax 8.5A. Compare that with the two I mentioned before. They differ only in thickness. Melcor's three are 3.3, 3.8, and 4.7 mm thick for 72W, 51W, and 33W respectively. So now you should be able to narrow down the options to one. Even if it's not made by Melcor the numbers will be similar.

The simplest way to test empirically for accurate parameters for a 127-couple TEC is to mount it on a water cooled heatsink cooled by cold tap water, then mount a 100W (or 75W) power resistor on top. Turn on tap for moderate flow, no turbulence, then the TEC at 15V input, then slowly send a rising voltage to the resistor, till you balance the hot and cold sides at same temperature. Measure volts and amps to the resistor to get Qmax, and current to TEC to get Imax. The assumed Vmax of 15V is close enough, though it could be 0.5V off either way. If you also want to know the delta T max, turn off the resistor and leave the rest running, then measure temperature of both sides.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 01-25-2009 at 02:55.

My Thermotek chiller arrived,it is somewhat different than 300EVIL's
    powers up,pump runs about 30 seconds than the watchdog alarm shuts it down,,
    Today I get to disassemble!!
    maybe i have a bad TEC also.....we will see

Thank you very much 300EVIL for the quick disconnects!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00252.JPG  

DSC00254.JPG  

The TEC PS is way different than mine. My guess is that the big white connector at the top right is for the TEC but I may be wrong. Plug it in and probe it for AC volts first to make sure it's not power in. If it's not reading 110VAC probe it on DC and see if your getting a reading. Mine was reading -28 VDC. Negetive because polarity was reversed at the board. Probobly trying to heat the TEC's.

Okay, I see it now.... Looks like they incorporated both power in and power out in the same connector. This "should" be correct.

Vertical Pins

• Black = AC Hot
    • White = AC neutral
    • Green = Ground

Horizontal Pins

Black = +/- TEC DC
    Red = +/- TEC DC

Okay, I see it now.... Looks like they incorporated both power in and power out in the same connector. This "should" be correct.

Vertical Pins

• Black = AC Hot
    • White = AC neutral
    • Green = Ground

Horizontal Pins

Black = +/- TEC DC
    Red = +/- TEC DC

Thank you..
    I start the checkout this morn.
    first i checked the +Red -Black got around 4 ohms.TEC side disconnected from Molex on PCB

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Thank you..
    I start the checkout this morn.
    first i checked the +Red -Black got around 4 ohms.
    Four ohms huh.... That's weird. Maybe your tec's are wired in parallel. Did you disconnect the connector first?

Four ohms huh.... That's weird. Maybe your tec's are wired in parallel. Did you disconnect the connector first?
    yep.

Did you spin the pump motor to see if it's hanging up? Mine will freewheel about 10 or 12 revolutions on a good finger flick with no water in the pump. Also, What is the full model number on the back of your unit? Mine is a T252P-5 NC.

Did you spin the pump motor to see if it's hanging up? Mine will freewheel about 10 or 12 revolutions on a good finger flick with no water in the pump.

Yes,pump works great.
    with the Molex connected i checked for DC voltage at the TEC output,,there is none.
    I can hear the relays activate
    Model# T252P-3 Rev.D
    Last edited by Lasernerd; 01-30-2009 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Yes,pump works great.
    with the Molex connected i checked for DC voltage at the TEC output,,there is none.
    I can hear the relays activate
    The pump may work but does is spin okay? The motor driver will send a fault to the controller if it doesn't reach operating speed.

Anyway, It does sound like you have a bad TEC PS especially if the relays are engaging. Any funny smells at the board? Maybe one of the transistors on the heatsink or one of the filter caps are smoked.