Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beam Shows / Graphic Shows

Default Beam Shows / Graphic Shows

I am just want to get some input... so the question is simple, beam shows or graphics shows, which do you prefer and why?

I personally am indifferent, i think both are awesome, but i have a piece of music i want to make a show to, and i just cant decide what kind to make... its going to be a long show (about 27mins) so im thinking graphics would probably be better, but i just wanted to see what my fellow photon enthusiasts think...

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I am just want to get some input... so the question is simple, beam shows or graphics shows, which do you prefer and why?

I personally am indifferent, i think both are awesome, but i have a piece of music i want to make a show to, and i just cant decide what kind to make... its going to be a long show (about 27mins) so im thinking graphics would probably be better, but i just wanted to see what my fellow photon enthusiasts think...
    I also like both..

The beamshows have a high WOW factor...
    It reaches out towards you...and pulls you in.
    Its really dynamic.

graphic shows stun me when they are done properly.
    Its more of a WOW wat a alot of work... is more like art...
    or watching a Photograph.

I do think its hard to WOW the public with grapics.
    We live in a word where we are bombarded with extrem visual media with extreme standards.
    No laser can give the quality that people are used to..
    Maybe SIZE can give you the "overhand"
    You have to be extremely creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I also like both..

The beamshows have a high WOW factor...
    It reaches out towards you...and pulls you in.
    Its really dynamic.

graphic shows stun me when they are done properly.
    Its more of a WOW wat a alot of work... is more like art...
    or watching a Photograph.

I do think its hard to WOW the public with grapics.
    We live in a word where we are bombarded with extrem visual media with extreme standards.
    No laser can give the quality that people are used to..
    Maybe SIZE can give you the "overhand"
    You have to be extremely creative.
    well, a lot of the "graphic" graphics are kinda cheeze, dont get me wrong, i have seen some amazing graphics (that echos' show that DZ purchased for example) but if i do graphics it would be mostly lissajous patterns etc

but making a show with actuall "Graphics" is very time consuming, even if you are recycling existing graphics from other shows and such...

Cool

I think beam shows are better for more upbeat "dance" style music (basically anything with a hard driving beat), while graphics shows can be set to a wider variety of music. This isn't a hard and fast rule, as there are exceptional beam shows that are set to classical music, and there are also exceptional graphics shows set to dance music. But as a general rule, I prefer fast dance music for a beam show. I also think beam shows are easier to create.

If you're talking about a 27 minute long show, then you're talking about a lot of work! It usually takes me at least a couple hours per minute for a beam show, and several hours per minute for a graphics show. The time consuming part of a beam show is all the effects you add (and the split-second timing), while the big time waster with building a graphics show is sifting through all the ILDA files trying to find the exact one you want to use.

So maybe with a really long graphics show things would go smoother, since once you got rolling you would have a better chance of finding the file you wanted because you would have spent so much time looking through your ILDA frames from the beginning. Something to think about anyway.

Adam

Big fat beamshows all the way!!! Takes alot of laser power

Graphic stuff is for the LCD proj's and the oil and water!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Graphic stuff is for the LCD proj's and the oil and water!
    Oil and water? Electrowetting Light Valve projectors, you mean? Pretty exotic stuff there...

Adam

I enjoy beam shows, perfer graphic shows, however I think a finely tuned combination of the two is best.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Is there some unwritten rule that you can't combine the 2?

Smile

Well, there's no law, but it *is* problematic. You really need a transparent scrim to do it. Beam shows need to be directed towards the audience. But graphics shows need to reflect off a surface for the audience to see them. So unless you've got a scrim, you end up shooting the projector away from the audience towards a wall or some other display screen.

That's why it's difficult to have both. You normally need two projectors to do it. (But as I mentioned above, a scrim will allow you to do it all with a single projector.)

Adam

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

A moveable scrim comes to mind...
    It might work, technically. You can make your curtains electric, so why not your scrim?