Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12 Channel DMX

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    If you find DMX-cables you should definitely buy them but my dad can bring audio cables from his work for nothing..
    Damn man, i'm payin about $30/5m here

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    Can understand wanting a black if you already have a black. I have tried all the places I know but can't find one.

Usually what you do is just add an extra set of wires from the in socket to the out socket. Really should be called DMX THROUGH, but is called an OUT socket because the signal is coming back out of the fixture and in to the next. Mine have the ground on pin 1, red on pin 2 and white on pin 3. So in fact I have 2 of each. 1 set going to the DMX board the other going to the "OUT" socket.

DMX signal is always OUT from the interface to your fixtures, there is no return back to the interface, it is a one way signal hence the need to terminate to stop signal bounce back/ghosting.

Hope that helps,

Onge (Andre)
    I ordered this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Connector-XLR-...QQcmdZViewItem

Its from the same place I got the female socket from and same colour and finish on it. Its identical to the one on maplin linked above so it should work.

When I started this scanner build I had quality in mind as my first build was in a plastic enclosure and there were holes in the wrong places where I didn't measure things properly. So far everything has worked out perfectly and I am cutting holes for the IEC connector and the exit hole tomorrow.

I am 90% sure that my scanner doesn't have DMX OUT or DMX THROUGH as you say. I have the laserpic12 scanners and I can't find anything about it apart from DMX IN.

I will keep it for my next build though seeing as that's going to be a SCANPRO/SCANCO build.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    I ordered this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Connector-XLR-...QQcmdZViewItem

Its from the same place I got the female socket from and same colour and finish on it. Its identical to the one on maplin linked above so it should work.

When I started this scanner build I had quality in mind as my first build was in a plastic enclosure and there were holes in the wrong places where I didn't measure things properly. So far everything has worked out perfectly and I am cutting holes for the IEC connector and the exit hole tomorrow.

I am 90% sure that my scanner doesn't have DMX OUT or DMX THROUGH as you say. I have the laserpic12 scanners and I can't find anything about it apart from DMX IN.

I will keep it for my next build though seeing as that's going to be a SCANPRO/SCANCO build.
    That's good you got a matching pair

Yes I have a set of those galvos in one of my lasers. The DMX board does only have DMX IN.

As I said you just add an extra set of wires from the chassis mount "IN" connector (one with pins) and attach them to the chassis mount "OUT" connector (one with holes).
    So the "IN" connector has 2 sets of wires, 1 going to the DMX board and the other to the "OUT" connector.

Hope that helps clear up that problem,

André
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    That's good you got a matching pair

Yes I have a set of those galvos in one of my lasers. The DMX board does only have DMX IN.

As I said you just add an extra set of wires from the chassis mount "IN" connector (one with pins) and attach them to the chassis mount "OUT" connector (one with holes).
    So the "IN" connector has 2 sets of wires, 1 going to the DMX board and the other to the "OUT" connector.

Hope that helps clear up that problem,

André
    I think I will just keep it for my next build, the DMX IN connector has cost me nothing so there is no loss at all for me. It's unlikely I will be needing to link the 12k scanner up to anything else in the near future, that will be what my next build will be for...

Although I will be damned if I do...
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)