Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Channel DMX

Default 12 Channel DMX

Im after a simple cheap DMX controller but as usual with this kind of stuff its not simple. The laser I am using it with has 12 channel DMX512, I keep finding lots of controllers around but they are all 6 channel and anything above is going over £100 apart from this anttec thing I found.

Can I use 6 channel controllers for the 12 channel or do I have to have 12 channels?
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

It really depends on what the last 6 channels are used for on your laser. More than likely, you'll miss out on quite a bit of controllability if you only have 6 DMX controller channels to use.

You might want to think about using an inexpensive USB PC-based DMX controller and some free software.

Check this out:

http://www.freestylerdmx.be/

Also, as far as stand-alone controllers are concerned, you might want to search E-bay for deals on some "older" generation DMX controllers.
    I have a (now discontinued) Chauvet DMX-55 that I bought new on E-bay for around $150 a little over a year ago. It can control up to 192 programmable DMX channels, very versatile, and definitely worth the price!
    Last edited by Stuka; 02-03-2009 at 15:43.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    Im after a simple cheap DMX controller but as usual with this kind of stuff its not simple. The laser I am using it with has 12 channel DMX512, I keep finding lots of controllers around but they are all 6 channel and anything above is going over £100 apart from this anttec thing I found.

Can I use 6 channel controllers for the 12 channel or do I have to have 12 channels?
    I've got a Behringer LC2412, which i don't use any more
    24 channel dmx lighting controller
    120 scenes in 10 banks
    Integrated chaser with 650 steps
    Sound to light function
    2 additional multi function channels for smoke machine etc
    Solo and flash function
    Dimmer control
    Midi interface for multi controller link up
    Pcmcia card slot
    Illumintated display
    19" rack mountable
    Foot switch input
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/LC2412.aspx
    The DMX connector on the back is a bit loose, but apart from that, it's in full working condition

Ok, I think a cheap PC controlled one would be my best bet. Im looking at the enttec open source model at the moment.

I have the Enttec DMX USB Pro, and I reckon its the best money I have ever spent! I originally only bought it to control my laser, but now I use it for everything

The Open is good, main difference between the pro and open is the microprocessor and opto-isolation on the DMX line. I'd highly recommend Enttec, customer service is great, and the products IMO are very good

If you want a small and reasonably cheap DMX desk then you could try the following, it has 16 channels, Stairville DJ-X 16 DMX Controller. Stairville is one of Thomann's own brands (badged products). I use Thomann all the time for my lighting requirements.

Going computer controlled is really the way to go and if you just want to control your laser then try FreeStyler and the Enttec Open DMX USB. Reasonably cheap interface and a good free lighting program, with an active support forum, I am on there.
    If you are good with electronics you could build one of these interfaces as the plans are freely available, just need the components.
    The Enttec Open DMX USB does not have a processor on board so the PC has to do all the work and if you are sending lots of non-zero channels then it can cause a delay, depends on how critical the timing is.

I agree with Things and would personally go for the Enttec USB DMX Pro, and as Things said it does have an onboard processor so no timing issues, I have 2 of them amongst other USB DMX interfaces.

Plenty of places in the UK sell the Enttec interfaces.

Hope that helps,

Onge (André)
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    If you want a small and reasonably cheap DMX desk then you could try the following, it has 16 channels, Stairville DJ-X 16 DMX Controller. Stairville is one of Thomann's own brands (badged products). I use Thomann all the time for my lighting requirements.

Going computer controlled is really the way to go and if you just want to control your laser then try FreeStyler and the Enttec Open DMX USB. Reasonably cheap interface and a good free lighting program, with an active support forum, I am on there.
    If you are good with electronics you could build one of these interfaces as the plans are freely available, just need the components.
    The Enttec Open DMX USB does not have a processor on board so the PC has to do all the work and if you are sending lots of non-zero channels then it can cause a delay, depends on how critical the timing is.

I agree with Things and would personally go for the Enttec USB DMX Pro, and as Things said it does have an onboard processor so no timing issues, I have 2 of them amongst other USB DMX interfaces.

Plenty of places in the UK sell the Enttec interfaces.

Hope that helps,

Onge (André)
    Im looking at the Open DMX at the moment, I am only going to be needing it to freeze animations like the welcome text and such. The Pro is out of my current budget really though.

Edit:
    Forgot to mention, the DMX input on the DMX board for my scanner only has 3 pins (B- A+ and Ground) which I am guessing would make the DMX socket a 3 pin, can I just get a simple 3 pin to 5 pin convertor for the DMX controller? I noticed that Open DMX has 5 pins on theirs.
    Last edited by lamborgini8; 02-06-2009 at 11:15.

Here's a good short DMX reference that addresses cables:

http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/dmx-about.htm

You can build simple 3 to 5-pin DMX cable converters yourself, or buy / order them from music & lighting supply stores.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    Forgot to mention, the DMX input on the DMX board for my scanner only has 3 pins (B- A+ and Ground) which I am guessing would make the DMX socket a 3 pin, can I just get a simple 3 pin to 5 pin convertor for the DMX controller? I noticed that Open DMX has 5 pins on theirs.
    Yeah, if and when you order an interface, ask for a 5-pin male to 3-pin female convertor, plug it into the interface and leave it there so as not to loose it, then use 3-pin DMX cables (do not use audio xlr cables, wrong ohmage) to the laser and put a 3-pin terminator in the out (or through) socket.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_..._53_pol_mw.htm about £3
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_...r_xlr_3pol.htm about £4

Onge (André)
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Ok cool.

Just to clear up the final thing though, the conenctor I would wire up to my scanners DMX would be one of these right? http://www.atel-electronics.eu/produ...00&dispLang=EN They are just the same as microphone connectors?