Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: trance energy

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    The show was done properly, I don't know the laser company involved.

I was chatting to Mark (Insanity) at UKLEM and he says they're very keen over here now. Everything pattern has to be MPE metered in the empty venue before a licence is issued. Often in front of a guy from the radiological protection board as well as the local authority!!

The pictures also don't tell the full truth - the scan speed was extremely high which is why the camera doesn't even smear from the hit yet the frame showing the reflection off the back of the guys shirt shows the laser to be bright.

serious?
    that top picture looks pretty heavy duty,,so looks like the camera fooled me!

I heard a rumour it was 2 x 5 watt greens but that's only a rumour.

The video is here: http://www.vimeo.com/2505542

You can see the very high scan speed from that.

I posted up a thread on moby concert lasers possibly killing a camera...

Same thing happened to that one!

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6484

Puzzling....

My handycam still ain't fixed. CMOS sensor on back order. They previously said it was a rubber seal which didn't fix much when I got it back >_>

I had a Fuji camera and used it to photograph my first 300mw green... It killed the camera after only 5 photo's... Mine was under warranty and the shop swapped it for a Nikon which was much better quality...

The Nikon is still being used to photograph lasers, but the CCD has more holes than a second hand dartboard...

I have video from clubs where LED Pixel lines are actually whiting out the camera and the 5watt YAG's had no effect... Also big pyro hits will white it out, so I don't think you can completely blame it on the lasers...

Some LED effects are rediculously bright these days...

Mark

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    I will say this in defense of lasers, (in the US) It is up to the owner of a device to guard it from harm. You can not sue Disney World because your cell phone was damaged on splash mountain. SO im not sure what Hugo could do for you.
    I agree with this, assuming that the show was metered beforehand and determined to be eye-safe. After all, you can't sue Disney World for water damage to your phone at splash mountain, but you *could* sue them if the wave pool at splash mountain suddenly generated a 20 ft high tsunami that tossed you out of the pool and onto the concrete pool deck, breaking your leg in the process!
    Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    Politics aside, this is an issue that i have seen come up a few times and never seen a absolute resolution or ruling on.
    Yeah, it hasn't really been resolved... There is some work being done on this issue, however. For example, ILDA has a new requirement for registration. You now have to affirm that you will abide by a set of safety guidelines. If you don't agree to them, supposedly you won't be allowed to renew. They haven't enforced it yet, but it's up on the website already. (There are sections in the list of safety guidelines that deal specifically with audience scanning.)

Also, they are working on two different tracks for audience scanning... The first is much more restrictive, and basically says that "thou shalt not perform a show that exceeds the MPE." For that track, no additional requirements are needed. (Beyond the typical stuff of course... Scan fail interlock, power measurements, crowd control, live operator, etc..)

But there is a second track (for people that don't live in the US and can thus perform a show that exceeds the MPE) that says something like "if you perform a show that exceeds the MPE, you must post warnings that you will be exceeding the MPE in the venue, and you still must not exceed 10X the MPE, and you understand that you are accepting legal liability for any eye injuries that result from you exceeding the MPE." This one is still being worked on, and I imagine there is significant resistance to it from the ILDA members in other countries...

Still, there's nothing in the standard about responsibility for cameras or DLP projectors, so it does appear that the onus is still on the consumer to be careful.

Adam

I think there should be a 'no lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk' policy here.

In other words post a sign that says 'Neither the venue nor the production company are liable for personal belongings that are lost stolen or damaged.'

And i believe that prety much all major venues have that policy already.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Default Camera Damage

From what I see , The lasers had nothing to do with your camera failing. It seems that the camera failed when the intense lights turned on. A fast blast of intense light can damage the ccd. But your camera can be fixed.

Default re

im coming to the same conclusion that it was more the intense white flash that caused the failure but the lasers added more light.
    i understand hugo as being one one the safeist laser engineers in the world and would never let an unsafe laser show happen.

my opinion is he pushed the borders with this one but im sure it was still a safe laser show. just not for my camera
    well iv still got my eyes anyway
    although i feel warning for camera users would be a good addition, especially seeing as they seem to be prone to breaking.

cheers ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

post removed
    Last edited by Frixxion; 03-11-2009 at 13:33. Reason: wrong thread
    Life is short.... Ride it hard!!