Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM is *on* for Saturday, March 21st 2009 at 10 AM

Smile Good deal on lodging in Tavares for FLEM attendees!

Hey folks! Just got in touch with the manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Tavares (this is the hotel that is within walking distance of the venue), and he agreed to give us a discounted rate of $89 per night for the weekend. So if you want to stay there Friday night before the event, or Saturday night afterwards, the rate is the same. I *think* this is for either a king size bed or a pair of queen size beds - your choice. (Need to call them to confirm that, but from the letter I received it looks like that's what they reserved for us.)

I've attached the document from the hotel to this message if you want to take a look at it. To book a room at the special rate, just call (352) 742-1600 and say you're with the "PhotonLexicon group" and ask for block code "PHO" and you're all set!

Adam

PS: This hotel is just across the Dead River bridge from the venue, on the other side of hwy 441. (Link is to google maps - click on the "A" marker.) They have free Internet, free continental breakfast, an outdoor swimming pool and a newly-refurnished fitness center. Looks like a nice place...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Smile count me in

Hot dog. I'm coming

Arrive Orlando airport 4:30 pm Friday. Pick up rental car. Drive to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Tavares.

Have 2 queen size beds at holiday inn express.

Leave Orlando airport Monday 11:30 A.M.

Will bring 12" laptop, pangolin QM2000.net, lots of DIY handheld lasers (RED,Green,Violet).

Will provide transportationn while I am there. Also have empty queen size bed and floor. First come first served.

LET'S PARTY !

John
    Inventor of the hemorroid transplant

Thumbs up

Wow!
    I wish we could organize a event like that here in the PNW!

You guys have fun,and I will be watching the live feed.

Smile

DocJohn;

All right! Very glad to hear that you were able to book an affordable flight, John! Really looking forward to meeting you.

Did you have any problems booking the room at the Holiday Inn Express using the PHO group code? (They did give you the discounted rate, didn't they?) I think you'll like the room - it's a nice place...

Lasernerd:

Setting up one of these meets isn't terribly difficult once you get one key piece of the puzzle, and that piece is a suitable venue. Find a venue that is large enough, cheap enough, and will allow both loud music and fog machines, and the rest is easy.

Be sure to ask about fire alarms though. We've tripped more than a few systems with the fog machines. (Including one famous incident at the very first SELEM back in 2007, where the fire department showed up in full bunker gear, Scott air pack, and a thermal-imaging camera! Thankfully the fire department in Newton doesn't charge a fee for false alarms.)

Finding the venue is the hardest part. Once you've got that nailed down, it's pretty easy to get the rest to fall into place. And remember, you don't need a lot of people to have a good time. 5 or 6 people with 2 or 3 laser projectors and a decent sound system makes for one hell of a party!

It looks like we will be broadcasting live again. Between Aaron and David, I think we'll have enough bandwidth to upload the feed. (Cooool!)

On a sadder note, I just found out that Greg Makov (from LSDI in Orlando) will not be able to attend, as he will be traveling to another conference that weekend. However, he expressed his enthusiasm for the event and would still like to attend one in the future, if we can get our schedules to match up.

Adam

DocJohn;

All right! Very glad to hear that you were able to book an affordable flight, John! Really looking forward to meeting you.

Did you have any problems booking the room at the Holiday Inn Express using the PHO group code? (They did give you the discounted rate, didn't they?) I think you'll like the room - it's a nice place...
    I booked B4 I heard about the code. Will try to cancel it and go with the group discount

John
    Inventor of the hemorroid transplant

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

so disappointing. after all I have done, still I am not invited as a special guest.

incredible

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    so disappointing. after all I have done, still I am not invited as a special guest.

incredible
    I felt the same way, but since the alphabet favors me... top of the list is almost as good as a special guest.

incredible
    It's ok clan, we all know you're a *special* guest!

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

Talking

LOL... in your context of *special* DZ, I'll choose to remain clandestine

LOL

Smile

Maybe if you'd answer your phone once in a while, you would have gotten the invite before I started this thread!

Seriously though - been trying to get in touch with you to talk about things for a while now. Looks like we'll have the basics covered re: sound, fog, and lasers, but wanted to talk about a few other things that might be interesting. Call me when you have time and we'll chat.

And John, I agree. Just call the corporate headquarters and cancel, then call the hotel local and re-book using the group rate. Or you could just try the hotel directly and tell them you forgot to mention the group rate... They'll probably just give it to you. They seem pretty cool. The guy I spoke with was "Alex". Ask for him, and mention that we talked. You should be good to go.

Adam