Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ILDA transfer format

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    no problem keeping the peace.. but idfont think that making assumptions obout peoples mental blocks is appropriate conversation in this thread..
    Hehe. Was it an assumption, or a well-established fact?

especially since bill knows that the statements will go unchallenged..
    They can't be challenged because they are facts. It's like challenging the speed of light, or additive color... Of course this digression is not helping to provide an answer to the question so I will stop right there.

if the standard is OPEN why would james not have current documentation.... am i missing something about open standards??
    Well, as I am siting here, I am wondering a bit what "Open standard" even means. I have to say, I am an old man so, maybe it's just over my head. Perhaps some people can give examples of an "open standard" and then I will see.

Nevertheless, I don't think that ILDA is necessarily an "open standard". I mean, it's certainly not "open" for anyone to make changes, or for that matter, to publish the document. The changes must be made by the technical committee, and then the document must be published by ILDA. I can say the EXACT same thing about the DMX-512 standard and ESTA, and many of the same lessons (and very time consuming additions) are parallels here as well. Do we consider DMX-512 to be an "open standard"?

Like I say, it really depends on what the word "open" even means.

In the case of DMX-512, it could be that ESTA makes the standards document available to everyone, even non-members. If that's the case, then it could be said that DMX-512 is "open" to the public. But at least for now, if what Sergey says is true, the ILDA file format document itself is only available to members, so in that way the ILDA format isn't even "open" to the public.

Bill

Hi guys! I'd like to thank everybody and to say I have already got the document.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

ESTA charges 75$ for DMX512 standards and aggressively hunts down anybody who publishes it on the web.

ANSI Z136 laser safety is pay to play was well.

only federal performance standards and rules are free.

why should ILDA be any different?

Steve

good question...

The answer is simple...... PDF, DOCX, SVG, BMP, WAV...

now MS made the DOC proprietary and eventually had to move to an OPEN format (the DOCX) after the format war with open office.

Im not saying there is gonna be a format war... ok well maybe I am saying that without a truly open standard.. there could be a format war.. and ILDA would win but would be forced to make the standard open.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group