Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight on Steroids

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    The local police officer wasn't to happy when he found the maglite under my passenger seat...
    I moved it to the trunk.

:-)
    Its not illegal is it? Nice Safety device for you though
    Maybe he was just jealous of its size.
    Last edited by High Octane; 02-16-2009 at 09:19.

Quote Originally Posted by High Octane View Post
    Its not illegal is it? Nice Safety device for you though
    Maybe he was just jealous of its size.
    A six cell ML is classified as a "bat" semi legal weapon over here.
    You can keep it.. and you may use it but you can't have it in "hand range" inside you car's passenger compartment...
    than its classified as a weapon and not a flashlight.

The same goes for a baseballbat.
    Its ok to transport one in a bag inside the trunk (when you go home from a game).
    But never ever put that bag on the passenger seat because you are crewed when they pull you over.

Nice looking torch.

I'd be interested to know how you find it. I have some normal powered LED torches but I've always found the light poor, very bright when looking directly at the torch, but very poor when projected onto surfaces compared to a normal bulb. I think it probably had something to do with the wavelength of the LED light. Yours is probably much better, they've probably improved as mine are a all 5 or 6 years old and were cheap ones.

HID is certainly very bright, I have HID in my car (retro fitted). They are expensive though. You can buy a 24w HID torch in the UK for around £109. Cheap compared to what they were, but nevertheless expensive.

Must say I love a mega bright torch, something in the million candlepower + bracket. It's great if you lose something and it becomes a defensive weapon in itself as few can stand the light even from distance.
    Last edited by White-Light; 02-17-2009 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Nice looking torch.

I'd be interested to know how you find it. I have some normal powered LED torches but I've always found the light poor, very bright when looking directly at the torch, but very poor when projected onto surfaces compared to a normal bulb. I think it probably had something to do with the wavelength of the LED light. Yours is probably much better, they've probably improved as mine are a all 5 or 6 years old and were cheap ones.

HID is certainly very bright, I have HID in my car (retro fitted). They are expensive though. You can buy a 24w HID torch in the UK for around £109. Cheap compared to what they were, but nevertheless expensive.

Must say I love a mega bright torch, something in the million candlepower + bracket. It's great if you lose something and it becomes a defensive weapon in itself as few can stand the light even from distance.
    The new style LEDS are nothing like the old bulb shaped LEDS, they are 10 times brighter and make regular flashlights look dim in comparison.
    I get all my Flashlights from HERE.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I ran a led flashlight companies R&D lab for 2 years :-)

I might just know something about reflector design, and most of the new ones suck.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by High Octane View Post
    The main subject is in the correct forum, I don't believe an afterthought qualifies reposting in the Laser thread.

It would definitely be something to see!
    Combining all those beams in the above style form factor would be a challenge.
    However, the main subject is the flashlight and its obscene design of combining 7 SSC P4s (U2 bin) emitters in a hand held flashlight.

Anybody here into High output Flashlights? Normally Lasers and flashlight interest go hand in hand.
    Yep,
    I have a nice collection of flashlights.
    my fav. is the POB HID!! cheap and cranks out the light big time!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I ran a led flashlight companies R&D lab for 2 years :-)

I might just know something about reflector design, and most of the new ones suck.

Steve
    In what way??

All of the Cree style flashlights that I have purchased have had decent reflectors. Most are more of a spot rather than a flood which is perfect for my use. 2 that I have are more of a flood. The projected beam is crisp as well...
    No problems here.

I have a Fenix L2D ce that has been a really good light, but I know there are way brighter options out there now. Still, I highly recommend it if anyone is looking for a less expensive option.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11343
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[quote=High Octane;83418]In what way??

All of the Cree style flashlights that I have purchased have had decent reflectors. Most are more of a spot rather than a flood which is perfect for
    end quote`

OK, I have high standards, I could hit a stop sign at 300+ feet with the beam from a T1-3/4 nichia white when they just came out..

I wish I could show you what I just did for a homeland security prototype, but I can't.

I don't have any pics right now of what I did, as the company folded, but here is a lame close up shot of a early unit. keep in mind this is a 2000 mCd nichia.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/alum.htm

Steve

Successor of the L2D is the LD20 with some minor improvements.
    I've got both and I really love 'em. Check out the homepage.