Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ILD SÔS - Upcoming new ILDA format oriented software.

hi Lava,

I'm interested in hearing what path optimization algorithm you have implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    ...I am just curious. Somehow I thought you were working on a plug-in for MAX.
    Bill
    Hi Bill,
    I was originally thinking about implementing the 3D aspects as a plugin that would do the configuration and conversion automatically, but as it developed it became clear that 1) I don't have time to delve into the various 3dmax sdks as would be necessary and 2) releasing it like this keeps it as a simple, separate software that has useful functionality outside of 3DS.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I was originally thinking about implementing the 3D aspects as a plugin that would do the configuration and conversion automatically, but as it developed it became clear that 1) I don't have time to delve into the various 3dmax sdks as would be necessary and 2) releasing it like this keeps it as a simple, separate software that has useful functionality outside of 3DS.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Hi Bill,
    Ahh. I was under the impression that you had written your own non-photorealistic renderer for MAX, with shading and such. This post really gives that impression:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5563&

What you are doing is pretty cool and I wonder how many other people have really thought of this technique. We did this very same trick back in 2001, shortly after developing our plug-in.

Incase there are people who don't know the technique, you can read about how to do it here:
    http://www.pangolin.com/_Files/Laser...pt01-LCMAX.pdf

Basically you render things "twice". You render first to generate the laser lines themselves, then you render normal 3D graphics as a series of bitmaps or AVI, then "impress" the color from the 3D graphics onto the laser lines.

It's not a bad way to go, and we were impressed with the initial results we got (especially since it was conceptually easy), but later we were dissatisfied with the quality and consistency so we built the shading aspects right into the plug-in itself.

Anyway, good job. But let me ask you, what does this do that LaserBoy does not? I have heard people using LaserBoy to import DXF and of course ILDA, and I have heard that there is some kind of "optimization" in LaserBoy, but beyond that, I don't know much about it. Does LaserBoy allow for the recolorization of laser frames based on a bitmap?

As I think of it, it seems like there a few free software packages out there that also import DXF and ILDA, and have built in optimization, and such and can even impress bitmap color onto the laser graphics.

As an aside, it's great to see all of the activity of PL members contributing to this artform! This community sure is thriving with talent!

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 02-21-2009 at 16:57.

Bill, are your comments really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Bill, are your comments really necessary?
    I can't really understand your post here Gary. Are you referring to how I used a Pangolin example to enlighten people about how they can do their own shading on 3D graphics? Lava alluded to it but never really described the process. I am sure there are many people who still don't know it. By providing a picture (= 1000 words) and a verbal description of how to do it, it helps to put the technique out there.

Heck Gary, I bet you could even put this into your software too!

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 02-21-2009 at 17:24.

No, you missed it entirely but reinforced my comment it with your reply. Priceless.

No, you missed it entirely but reinforced my comment it with your reply. Priceless.
    Well what I can I say? I guess I have outlived my usefulness... And I guess not everyone can contribute to PL, the same degree of tact and wisdom that you have demonstrated in recent time...

Bill

The fact that you edited both of your posts AFTER I made my replies is telling. Nothing more to say.

The fact that you edited both of your posts AFTER I made my replies is telling.
    Telling? Telling is the fact that you would rather spend your time sniping at my posts than make positive contributions yourself.

Nothing more to say.
    HA! That will be the day...

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 02-21-2009 at 18:23.