Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ILD SÔS - Upcoming new ILDA format oriented software.

Thumbs up ILD SÔS - Upcoming new ILDA format oriented software.

Introducing a project I've been developing off and on for a little while - ILD SÔS. It contains a lot of techniques I have worked on in the art of frame optimization, and its goal is to generate and facilitate the easy transfer and use of ILDA files for laser shows.
    ILD SÔS optimization routines are intended to allow the use of any speed scanner with any speed and type of DAC.

What it is:
    - An ILDA file format converter tool
    - An LDS CAT format importer/converter tool
    - A tool that can produce very good non-shaded 3D animation when used with 3D Studio Max and the Illustrate! plug-in
    - A tool that can also produce shaded 3D animation (shadows, etc) with the above pair
    - An optimization tool for very good pathfinding, data reduction, and point optimization for all file types
    - Standards compliant

What it is not:
    - A frame editor
    - Hard to use
    - Expensive
    - A generic DXF importer (DXF containing polylines only currently supported)

ILD SÔS is not supposed to compete with other professional 3D laser show creation software, it IS intended to bring this capability down (closer) to hobbyist price level.

ILD SÔS goes great with Spaghetti.
    ILD SÔS utilizes Laserboy data structures internally (Thanks James!), however all of the functionality (including import/export) in this program is unique.

ILD - Inconspicuous Laser Developer (SÔS is pronounced 'sauce')
    Each processing step can be enabled or disabled via the button on top of the step.

ILD SÔS is not affiliated with or endorsed by the International Laser Display Association.

Hey Man,
    That looks great! OK, I'll be the first to ask- when do we get to check it out? Does it have a batch mode? Hey, it has a GUI! Sweet!
    -Mike

Thanks Mike, I expect to have the first release ready in a few weeks. It is set up with batch mode in mind, but that is not yet in place and probably won't be for the first release. Batch mode is kind of a 'professional' quantity feature but maybe you can convince me otherwise?

I should have asked for the dll/sdk/header incarnation first! That would, er, I mean, will rock!
    -Mike

Hmm I don't think there is a need for a batch mode. You can make entire show on Max and then just compile it into one ILDA.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Default Source Code?

Please! I would love to see the code, a BSD license would be groovy! It would be a great addition to LFI player too!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Hmm I don't think there is a need for a batch mode. You can make entire show on Max and then just compile it into one ILDA.
    ???
    Assuming everyone has max, or just speaking for yourself?
    -Mike

After thinking about it more, I still like the SDK approach- I have some 3rd party conversions that have left me feeling a little unsatisfied as far as the flashiness goes. It is too easy to recreate a points path, but a whole 'nother thing to recreate it with just enough points to get the job done, sans flash. points reduction is where it's at- simplify those polygons. Stair step angled lines all over the place? No way! I can't wait to make some of my over detailed ildas sing like I know they should.
    -Mike

Nice work Dr. Lava. Looks like a really useful programme.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    ???
    Assuming everyone has max, or just speaking for yourself?
    -Mike
    Also, another advantage of a batch mode is it gives you the opportunity to convert or point optimise your whole library / archive at once. Many people will have existing ILDA file archives of hundreds maybe thousands of files that maybe whilst not needing conversion would benefit from point optimisation. Others may have libraries in other formats that would benefit from conversion.

Personally, I think a batch function would be a really useful edition.

Nice work Doc! I am sure a lot of people will find benefit from your software. But I do have a question if you don't mind my asking...

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    - A tool that can also produce shaded 3D animation (shadows, etc) with the above pair
    Do does this mean that you don't really have a plug-in for 3DS MAX, and that your way of doing 3D with shading all along has been to take bitmaps from raser-rendered versions of frames, and apply them to lines-rendered versions using Illustrate?

I am just curious. Somehow I thought you were working on a plug-in for MAX.

Bill