Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mame for EasyLase

Default Mame for EasyLase

Here is a few videos of my Winter project- Mame for EasyLase.
    I got sick of trying to find code for this from people who had done this in the past, so I just decided to do it myself. I was able to get a good start when a guy named Joey Hagedorn pointed me to the location in mame's vector.c file where points are handled for vector games. He had successfully hacked it directly to easylase, but I decided to go a somewhat different route. I made a custom dll that acts as a liason between mame and easylase.dll. This made it easier to keep modifications to mame at a minimum, so that all the optimization could be done in the custom dll.
    Another benefit to doing it this way is that I was able to use a good chunk of code sent to me by Zoof that handled the transfer of point data to the easylase.dll. All that was left was to add some optimizing and figure out how to wire these 3 pieces together (without linker errors!!) The very first results looked pretty bad, but showed promise so I kept going. Little by little I was able to add enough optimization & filtration to get it to the point where most of the games run pretty well on 30k scanners.
    This was also a good opportunity to force myself to become more familiar with c++. I had played around with it in the past, but never actually assembled a dll to be used by another process. Getting that to work was a small victory
    After a few more tweaks and tests, I will be sure to put this on the FTP site for anyone who wants to check it out. Right now it just supports EasyLase, because that is the only DAC that I own that has a SDK. If there is any interest, maybe we can work on that.

The vids- please note that my scanners are 30k Cheapie Chinese out of tune POS's- Santa please bring me some DT40's:

LazyMame GUI

Space Fury

Boxing Bugs

I'll post some more videos as things develop.
    -Mike

Smile

Well done, Mike... Well done!

I wondered how long it would take for someone to revisit the lasermame project. Since Robert Mudryk has steadfastly refused to release his work, I had hoped that someone else would be able to recreate his effort. Glad to see you've taken up the challenge.

Also a big thanks to Zoof for blazing the trail with his code.

Keep up the good work guys! (At this rate, I might have to buy an easylase DAC just so I can play lasermame...)

Adam

Nice going Mike!
    Looking forward to TEMPEST and LUNAR LANDER !

Can't wait to get my RGB up so I can check it out. Looks like a lot of fun! Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    Nice going Mike!
    Now Tempest, what a brilliant game, spent many pennies playing his in the arcades and pubs.

Onge
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    These push the scanners a little more, but they work-
    Tempest
    Lunar Lander

On Tempest, I filtered out some of the stars so the scanner will not have to paint all of them- this made it more doable.
    On Lunar Lander, I made a couple of clipping rectangles that omit some more of the superfluous screen info. That seemed to lighten the load on the scanners as well.

Nice work

where can i get an easylase dac and how much are they? i'm in the uk

Cheers
    Rich

Müller Elektronik

Email: info@jmlaser.com
    http://www.jmlaser.com

Thanks Decix

Cheers
    Rich

Question

Anyone tried this on the soundcard DAC and EzAudDac?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin