Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MacOS X 10.5.6, VMware Fusion and Pangolin

Default MacOS X 10.5.6, VMware Fusion and Pangolin

In a word, don't. I upgraded my laser's Mac from 10.5.5 (worked fine since VMware Fusion 2 came out) to 10.5.6, and starting any of the FB3 software caused the MacOS kernel to panic somewhere in USB. This time it doesn't seem to be Pangolin's fault, either- VMware users are reporting problems all over USB.

Anyway, I got to spend an evening rolling back my Mac to 10.5.5, which was a more painful process than I really wanted it to be, so I wanted to save anyone else from experiencing the wonders of what must surely be Apple's least popular update yet.

-J.

Thanks for reporting this Heroic. Now we have three members of the Pangolin team who have a MAC (Paulo, Ante and Dieter) and probably more to come.

We will investigate this ourselves and see if we can do something to help.

I don't have a MAC (yet), but my impression is that VMWare Fusion is faster than Parallels, but I have never heard of any problems with Parallels. I know that Paulo and our client Hugo both use Parallels.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 02-22-2009 at 05:35.

For what it's worth: I've had my Mac (10.5.6) running XP and Vista via Parallels v3 and v4 with the FB3 software (LiveQuick I think) working fine.
    I've not actually had an FB3 connected to it yet (hoping to order one VERY soon ) But the software runs all the same.
    I just wanted to try it in 'demo' mode to see if it was compatible with my setup and just to get a brief 'feel' for the software, as I would explode if I waited any longer
    Turns out I'm going to go for the LivePro model, but obviously can't test if that works until I order my FB3...

@heroic: Have you used BootCamp at all? I've got that setup for my CAD work with Vista, so if worst comes to the worst, I could always reboot into Vista as a normal machine...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    For what it's worth: I've had my Mac (10.5.6) running XP and Vista via Parallels v3 and v4 with the FB3 software (LiveQuick I think) working fine.
    I've not actually had an FB3 connected to it yet (hoping to order one VERY soon ) But the software runs all the same.

Yes, it runs fine until you connect the FB3, at which point the Mac will kernel panic. This is a known problem with 10.5.6 and the VMware hypervisor. If you're planning to run an FB3 you'll either need to wait for a fix to VMware, a fix to MacOS X, or downgrade to 10.5.5. I've tried everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I don't have a MAC (yet), but my impression is that VMWare Fusion is faster than Parallels, but I have never heard of any problems with Parallels. I know that Paulo and our client Hugo both use Parallels.
    The reason I went to VMware Fusion in the first place was that I couldn't get CypherLite to run at all on Parallels; this was quite some time ago, and Parallels lagged behind in the USB emulation stakes (it may be much better now, but as a VMware user for some years I wouldn't know).

Oh, and that's "Mac", not "MAC"- short for Macintosh, don'tchaknow? :-)
    Last edited by heroic; 02-22-2009 at 11:26.

Ah - I see.
    I landed on the Parallels side of the fence way-back-when (2.5 yrs ago?) and I've had every version since. In my opinion Parallels is better than Fusion in terms of features, (especially V4). However Fusion was snappier when I tried it out on my MBP. I guess the two solutions are: add more RAM or buy Fusion. However, I've got so much 'invested' in Parallels, I can't afford the money or the time to make the change.
    But thanks for raising the point.

Do you run BootCamp? Obviously there would be no issues there, but at least you'll have it up and running and keep your OS X install at 10.5.6.

And Heroic, my Mac has a MAC, (3 in fact!)

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Do you run BootCamp? Obviously there would be no issues there, but at least you'll have it up and running and keep your OS X install at 10.5.6.

And Heroic, my Mac has a MAC, (3 in fact!)
    I would use BootCamp but I really value the ability to roll back the Windows environment to snapshots at a moment's notice- it's saved my bacon a couple times now. VMware is close to perfect now- it's just a little fragile over MacOS updates.

Our visuals/laser system consists of three MacBook Pros and a Dell Mini 9 running MacOS X. One MacBook Pro runs VMware Fusion and LAStudio Showrider Live, while the other two are running Modul8 into a DVI-D switcher which in turn drives a Matrox TripleHead2Go into three ViewSonic three-LCD 4500 ANSI lumen projectors. Running MacOS X on all of these machines gives us the flexibility to swap any of them in if there's some kind of disaster- like, for example, the time I had a hard drive failure on one of the machines immediately before a show.

Also, I'd guess your Mac has more MACs than that- there's one in each FireWire interface too! :-)

What a great setup!

If I could afford it, I'd have a Mac Mini or two tucked away in my projector, but your setup sounds much more suited to the professional road.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Also, I'd guess your Mac has more MACs than that- there's one in each FireWire interface too! :-)
    Aye - you're on the ball, I forgot about that.

Dan

I am new to mac just picked up a mac book pro trying to get ld2000 .net to be recognized. I have installed vmware and vista and am able to ping my .net box but the pangolin config utility will not find the .net.

Any thoughts? I do understand that I may have a kernal panic issue from above posts but I am not even getting to that point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ljk View Post
    I am new to mac just picked up a mac book pro trying to get ld2000 .net to be recognized. I have installed vmware and vista and am able to ping my .net box but the pangolin config utility will not find the .net.
    You need to configure your vmware to use bridged networking; the .net thing won't work through any of the NAT options.

Any tips on setup with the bridge networks, I tried that option last night but did not have any luck.